Stealing Bands/band Theft

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Band Man, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Band Man

Band Man Elite Refuge Member

I have a friend in colorado (whos name i wont mention). Last year i started noticing alot more bands on his lanyard, but he would never say he was shooting any bands. I knew he wasnt buying them on ebay because we both talked about how horny people are who buy bands on ebay.

I talked to him about a week ago and he confessed somthing that I had already suspected he was doing.

He told me he went to a local park and caught 7 geese at different times, he told me he took the bands off thier legs with his leatherman.

I told him he needs to stop right away because it really isnt ethical. I also told him that if he was caught he could get in a TON of trouble. (how true is this ?)

He is trying to make his way up the contest calling road, and he is field and pro staffed for a couple of companies. He told me he felt the pressure of not having alot of bands on his lanyard so he had to conpensate. Its starting to get ridiculous on what people will do for a band these days.

What do you guys think about this ??
    How much trouble would he be in if he got caught ??

2. call4ducks

call4ducks Elite Refuge Member

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Sounds like catch and release hunting:nutz :nutz
    I think band desperation is a sad act,.. and unfortunatly its seems the waterfowl industry is driving the craze. And even more sadly those that have the hard earned bands,.. their value is becoming less and less because of if.
    10 years ago a lanyard full of bands was impressive,.. I no longer hold that view.
    No idea about the legalities

4. Band Man

Your exactly right. I see all these guys with lanyards to the floor and it just makes you wonder. We are lucky here in nevada to have a small resident population that is banded. Thats why everyone out here can kill a bunch, but its not like that in a number of other places. It makes you wonder how people are getting those bands.

Does anyone know how much trouble you can get in for that ?? I told my friend you can lose your license for a year :no I dont know how true this is.

5. BoWhoop

BoWhoop Senior Refuge Member

Answer A: Pathetic.
    Answer B: What ever the going punishment is for disturbing wildlife.

It amazes me how folks get their panties in a twist over bands.. At the end of the day, its a piece of aluminum with some numbers stamped on it. To have a few on your lanyard is nice but it doesn't define you as a hunter..

6. jeffD4L

jeffD4L Senior Refuge Member

why couldn't he just make then it ain't that hard to stamp some letters and numbers on a strip of metal????:fp :fp :cry

i'd bet he wouldn't be the first!;).................or the last!:fp

also i havee 2 band only one of witch i shot the other is a band off a drake mallard that my grandpa shot in 1953, that band is more impotent to me then my first band or my last band. most people that have alot of bands hunt them they find band rich areas spacificly targeting bands, when i see a lanyard full of bands i think guide or some one how is spending all there hunting time trying to build up there image. no offence, it just ain't for me if i get a band i get a band you can't eat'em.

7. Dirk Snodgrass

Dirk Snodgrass Elite Refuge Member

Its the downside of the sport. Bands have become some instant measure of competence. Kinda sad when stuff like this rolls around.

8. Band Man

Thats what i was thinking. Some of the reasoning behind it ive herd, is they put the bands on the bird to find out more information on them. How will they ever find out any information if the bird stays at a park and never gets reported.
    To those of you who pm'd me Im not giving out his information, I dont feel its right to my friend. Im a better friend than that :rolleyes: We talked about it and im pretty sure he wont do it anymore. But you never know, he just might not tell anyone :l

9. BIG BANG

BIG BANG Elite Refuge Member

Not to hijack the thread but we have a situation that is almost as bad! We have a program where they transplant nuisance geese from around Reno and Lake Tahoe to a small management area here in Southern Nevada. Well most of these birds are banded and they want to transplant them on a regular basis but the Dept. of Wildlife is convinced that we are not holding the birds and they believe they are getting harvested elsewhere-well there not, there getting harvested here , its just that a lot of guys are not reporting them.

10. MOSS

MOSS Senior Refuge Member

rather see him buy them on EBAY:mad: