Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

steering mechanism for 1448 Tracker

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by CA Hunter, Oct 1, 2018.

1. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I have a 30 Suzuki in it which was originally a consol steering which i converted to be tiller with side remote for shifters, so, stirring i do with a handle and all the shifting etc. with a remote controls attached to the starboard gunwale.
    The boat is used for duck hunting by me or very rarely one additional hunter or sturgeon fishing 2-3 guys. Every run to hunting or fishing spots are around 8 miles each way.

So, my questions are:
    1. Is it worth to spend time and money to make it remote, meaning to add a steering mechanism (thinking to make it foldable. When not in use it folds flat with the board

2. Where can i find a good used one for reasonable money?

2. CA Hunter

So, no opinion/experience?

3. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like a lot of work and trouble. Are you going to have to detach the steering cables every time you use the tiller steer instead of the wheel. Why did you get rid of the console steering in the first place?

4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Stick steering might be workable?

Pit Boss and tcc like this.
  5. CA Hunter

It is a little confusing how to use it, not right-left but back and forth besides they are really expensive. The complete rotary helm with cable and wheel i can get for $50 used in good condition.

In general i'm looking for opinions to do or not to do, convenience VS. lost space.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I love stick steering. Takes up little room, very maneuverable, inexpensive and I find it very intuitive. A little weird at first but very easy to get used to, at least for me.

Fowler267 likes this.
  7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Like backing a vehicle, don't look at the vehicle. Look where you want to go and adjust.

8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

We just bought an old aluminum bass boat that we are going to retrofit as a hunting rig with blind. It has remote steer via a huge console that has to go. We are considering stick steer. Where is a good source to buy the stick steer mechanism?

If we don't do stick steer we thought we would mount a steering wheel facing and against the gunwale. This boat will be docked very close to the area we are building it to hunt (we have other boats for other places) so all we will rarely be doing more than idling out to and around the spot.

9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

EZY Glide makes one; it's a push-pull single cable setup. The ones I've had were the old school cable and pulley setup; I actually prefer it for low speed stuff as it turns sharper--you can turn the motor almost perpendicular to the transom with this setup. The EZY Glide though has no feedback and is probably safer, especially at higher speeds, but it doesn't turn as sharp.
    For the old school setup it's just pulleys mounted in the corners of the boat with cable going around them; you can get that stuff at a hardware store. The actual "stick" though I'm not sure where to find one of those new.
    Someone makes a hydraulic version too with a mini steering wheel for the control; not sure who makes that setup.

10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

OP, I'd imagine the console steering setup would make using the tiller a PITA, due to the added resistance, unless you can easily unhook it(?). I don't suspect you'd want to go hyd steering at all. That'd make that even worse.