Stewart kennels

Discussion in 'Mississippi Flyway Forum' started by negooseman, Dec 4, 2014.

1. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Anyone have a pup/dog from Stewart kennel near Oxford? Looking for a British lab and came across his site. Pros/cons/issues? Thanks.

2. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Pretty well respected kennel but I am not familiar with them personally. I would suggest you check into Ace's Retrievers in Kiln, MS. He has English labs and Ace is a good guy and trainer.

I have had some training done there and know several guys who have gotten dogs from him and are very happy.

3. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

4. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

I believe Mike Stewart of Wildrose outside of Oxford has a brother who also trains British labs in the area. Robert Milner of Duckhill is in that area too. He sold Wildrose to Mike & Cathy.

I own a 10 yo BLM from Wildrose. He's a fantastic retriever. He's retrieved tons of ducks, geese, pheasants, grouse and chucker. He's great on blinds and marks. Has a fantastic nose. Fine in cold water - breaking ice - snow. He's gotten all titled up (HRCH & MH) in the off season. He has gotten me invited on duck and goose hunts because guides and friends like the way he retrieves and his temperment. He's small for a lab 55lbs so bringing back Canada's can be a challenge at times.

No health issues - he's a bit off the peg down here in FL in the summer w/ the heat. The thing I liked about Wildrose was that not only was it a kennel to get my dog from - I also learned handling & training from them - having not owned a gun dog prior.

Found the brothers site:
    http://stewartbritishlabs.com

Milners site:
    http://www.duckhillkennels.com

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  5. Foxwood

Foxwood Senior Refuge Member

6. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

Bobby is Mike Stewart's dad, IIRC.

I have a wee bit of experience with British labs, having I believe the 5th ever HRCH (500) MH "british dog" and the first of those to also have a UH, and that has UK style placements, too. That said, I would NOT get hung up in UK vs. US lines, I would get a pup from the best pair of parents I could find. I know Ace Berry and have trained with him, he is a straight up guy. I have not kept up with his bloodlines. If I were in the market for a "British" dog, I would call Tom Hamilton at Bracken Fen, or Haynes Floyd at TT British labs, and start checking parents for upcoming breedings. Those would be my first stops, and probably only stops.

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  7. John Wilson

John Wilson New Member

I have a couple nice English American cross that I am training to sale as started or finished. Come see them for yourself. I'm in Durant.

John

Brad May likes this.
  8. Brad May

Brad May New Member

I can vouch for John Wilson as a trainer.
    He put a GRHRCH title on two of my dogs