Stick steering

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by SKDuckhunt, May 3, 2018.

1. SKDuckhunt

SKDuckhunt Senior Refuge Member

Am I missing something evident, why is not stick steering preferred in many jon boat situations. do the cables easily freeze up? I would love to place my fat behind in the front of the boat rather than running a tiller or side console keeping most weight in the rear...

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I mainly see stick steering in old converted ski boats that have a second life as commercial fishing rigs where they removed the console. I think its a great idea but I guess many people fail to comprehend the benefits?

3. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Less natural than a steering wheel probably, less intuitive given we drive with steering wheels every day. Plus, you can put a console wherever you want, and I've seen rigs run multiple fully functional consoles. Throw a center console right up against the front deck if you want.

But plan it right, you move yourself too far forward and you're going to be pushing water like a plow. Boats that benefit from someone being further forward are usually tunnel hull type boats because they are made to run flat, in normal situations people are trying to get as much hull off the water so they can run 100mph, you don't want to be sitting up front for that.

I've got a new tunnel hull coming, right now it'll be tiller, but my plan is to run a center console in the future, it'll be placed about 40% of the way back from the nose, so I'll end up standing at just in front/right at midpoint of the boat.
    I'm also planning on seeing if having a moveable console is doable. I'll make my console, secure it to the hull via structural studs. The idea would be to have one set of studs up just in front of the midpoint, and one set back by the transom, use wingnuts, if I end up in a situation where I have to run waves, remove the wingnuts, pull the console back to the rear studs, tighten the wingnuts, and now I can run bow up much much easier and hop the waves.

But that's the thing, if you're not trying to run flat, run shallow, you really don't want to be in front of that midpoint for normal driving of the boat. Dedicated river rigs may do this as well, for visibility, but again, it's a shallow water thing, these guys aren't then taking that rig in areas where there may be waves.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I had a stick steer fishing boat for several years and bought it expecting it to be a pita to get used to; turns out it's actually very intuitive, more so than a tiller imo. With tilt/trim the running attitude shouldn't be much of an issue; even the old 25hp I had on my little boat would easily lift the bow; the only time there was an issue with plowing was in the waves---they certainly aren't well suited for running in choppy water, at least in the hull designs I've been in. That said if used mostly in calmer waters I don't know why more people don't use it either. I spent a lot of time in that little rig and on the smaller lakes around here(15k acres and less) and it worked great 90% of the time. I only got rid if it because of rot in the old boat; will likely get a similar one this summer to replace it.

5. JR

JR Senior Refuge Member

First new boat I bought was a 17 ft Cajun with stick steering. Loved that boat, but it was not a hunting boat. Never had issues with getting up on plane with me up front. As mentioned above, the only disadvantage was when operating in a heavy chop or swells, your going to get wet.