Still shooting bands at age 80

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Sweatliner, Jan 18, 2018.

1. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

Larry has some thick bark on him, hope I'm going as good he does when I get more mature.. congrats on the band Larry, getting the green before Steve is a feat in its self. ;)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Sweatliner likes this.
  2. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

lo-base Larry is my new hero! I'd love to think that I'll be doing the same thing at 80, but the reality is that those odds are extremely long. Larry is a 1%er...hell, the number has to be a fraction of 1% of 80 years olds that could do what he does :yes

Great post...better than Refugeguy's kid posts!
    Not as good as his Squaw posts though :l

Sweatliner likes this.
  3. yellowlabhunter

yellowlabhunter Refuge Member

Hey pal great stuff!!! If dad still wants and has the desire, then Hell Yes! I hunted yesterday with...actually not with, but drank Bloody Mary's with a 84 year after we went in. This gent had come on an hour before us. So, Cheeers!!!! It's never over til it's over.

Sweatliner likes this.
  4. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

Great post, quality hunt and nice shot LBL. I see that you still have your calls/lanyard on.Is that Rio in the second photo? Thanks for sharing.

Sweatliner likes this.
  5. welborn user

welborn user Senior Refuge Member

Great post Steve. My pops is 81 and still gets out there, even needing a new hip. Going through chemo though, and still getting after it is something not often seen. I would LOVE to see the look on my Dad`s face if he ever got another band before he has to give it up. Probably the same look I gave him when I got my first band at age 12 at Lower Klamath. Great job Larry, you are a stud and an inspiration!

Sweatliner likes this.
  6. welborn user

welborn user Senior Refuge Member

......oh ya, that greenhead is a pig. :)

7. lo-base larry

lo-base larry Refuge Member

Thanks everyone for the nice replies. It would not be possible to hunt without Steve. He does everything. Although yesterday while he was out chasing geese (came back with 3) I was able to pick up due to the hard bottom of the pond. Good observation Green, it was really weird the way a loose end of the lanyard got in the track of the bolt handle and upon firing my first shot of the day the cord got pulled into the action behind the bolt and froze the action solid. Steve pulled and I pulled until the cord broke. After pulling the pin of the trigger group I couldn't pull out the trigger group. Went back to the truck and took off the barrel and forend and pulled on the tube that connects to the bolt not even very hard and it slid forward. Was meant to be,got a band. Weird. Yep that's Rio, best nose you could ever imagine.

8. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Great post and congrats on the band. Take Pops as long as you can, times fly quick.

Sweatliner likes this.
  9. DERODOM

DERODOM Elite Refuge Member

There were 3 barrels pointed at that greenhead... and Larry was faster than Steve and I. I was glad to be a part of it and hope we can do it again. Definitely, one of the highlights of my season. Larry I hope to have the drive, ability, and wits you have when I reach 80. You are one of a kind and a damn good man!

Sweatliner and green with ring like this.
  10. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Strong work Larry, was stoked to get that pic yesterday.

Sweatliner likes this.