Still waiting for Seaters fish story to hit the forum.

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by callinfowl, Dec 7, 2017.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Heard they got into a BIG one today.:yes:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::yes

2. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

It's on FB now holly crap in your pants stuff.

3. callinfowl

Pictures of the boat?

4. thekillerofmallard

5. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

???? Now I’m curious...

6. Gomer

Gomer Elite Refuge Member

I’m guessing Seaters is sleeping it off. Scary stuff!

7. callinfowl

Probably still at Ketch Joanne's trying to calm his nerves and telling a fishtail*.:eek::eek::eek:

8. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

I hope the fish (mammal) is ok.

Dandy

9. thekillerofmallard

I talk to Mark he's still cleaning his shorts.

10. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

It was a Whale of a tale...or "tail" I guess I should say
    This event was as close to a whale in the boat as you want to get..I have spent tons of hours out there on the water, both in my boat and other boats over the last 40 years or so and never had anything like this happen and have only heard of one other encounter with a whale/boat that did not turn out to well for the crew. Sure lots of close calls... but never contact.

I jumped on buddy Jays boat, which is 28' ft catamaran with twin 225 4 storkes. On board with friend Jeff for a little crabbin and some rock cod. We ended with limits of very nice rockies and 3 ling along with 15 very nice white crab and a dozen red ones..

Now check this out..
    ... We came across a huge area of marine life, birds, bait, seals, whales.. you name it they were there huge amounts of sea life feeding on the huge bait ball. It was amazing to watch.
    Well we are driving around this huge amount of life at 5 or 6 mph just looking and Jay says we got whales on both sides of us, not to close but needed to pay attention of them when all the sudden Jay Yells..... Whale !!! Hold on we are going to get hit. I look forward as I was on the back deck and I see 5 or 6 foot high back of a huge whales "arched" back, I see the dorsal fin up close, right in front of the boat. I mean RIGHT IN FRONT coming straight at us and I mean it is going to hit us and hit us hard dead center between the two hauls of the catamara boat !

Jays very quick reaction time possibly saved our lives and major boat damage or a capsize, as he hit full throttle in reverse just as the arched back of the whale met the bow of the boat dead center straight on. The huge tail of the whale, because of the whales forward motion and us going in reverse slapped the front of the boat as it descended.

I heard a load thud and felt the boat rock to one side a little as the whale went under us. I yelled it just hit us !!!, as Jay looked at me with a shocked look on his face, He said look at all the crap on the windows and on front of the boat, water that came off the whale as he hit the boat. It bent the front heavy stainless rail that goes around the bow/pulpit of the boat and leaving some scratches and heavy rub marks on the tunnel part of the hulls underneath .
    We sat there in awe looking at each other and I'm waiting for the boat to tip or flip as we did not know where the whale was at, I looked in the water to see a huge toilet bowl type of water movement around us as we are all in shock of what just happened knowing that it could have been bad real real bad !.
    Once again due to Jays quick movements, thinking and great skippermenship we will be able to fish another day. If he did not get us that extra couple feet of distance between the whale on the bow by going hard reverse. I wonder how pissed off that whale would have been after 2, 225 hp motor raked down his back would have felt.

It can happen fast real fast. Be careful out there guys and gals !!! Moby Dick can getcha !

The Air II has a little black eye on her front rail, but will be fine...
    Thanks Jay...Moppy you did good my friend and I think we might have had some help from above on this one ! ! I think we need to change jays handle to Mr. Geppetto

freefall, Coach_quack, API and 3 others like this.