Stock market, wonder if the small 401k guys are taking profits after learning a lesson last meltdown

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Just wondering if the common man may be the ones taking chips off the table this time around. I doubt it and the big boys know what is happening tomorrow with today 401k sell orders.

2. Troller

Troller Senior Refuge Member

Holy cow.......run to the sidelines. Lol.

3. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

What I see is...

Increase in interest for the 10 year bond signaled fear of higher interest rates, thus more cost to barrow money.

Investors selling off and pocketing profits from the record high markets started an unbalance in the markets.

Large numbers of Johnny-come-lately investors who bought stock with money they shouldn't be messing with, and now they panic with the classic "buy high, sell low" that they do like clockwork.

Now there's lots of big money investors ready to start buying tons of stock at fire sale prices.

4. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

Buy and hold for me. For about 25 more years.

WARTHOG, tcc, Boomn4x4 and 3 others like this.
  5. boodog

boodog Senior Refuge Member

You get it! Nobody can predict the market. Just keep reinvesting dividends and interest from your mutual funds/etfs during this downturn.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  6. wispete

wispete Elite Refuge Member

7. wispete

wispete Elite Refuge Member

That is my take also. The tax break that every one loves has a downside. It increases the national debt and money is needed to service that debt. Thus the increase in interest to get enough money. This has a direct effect on the market. A lot of money will move out of stocks to interest bearing bonds.

Will stocks recover ? Yes but it will take a while. Long term investors who have solid company's will be fine. A lot of traders will be hurt or wiped out.

California Flyway likes this.
  8. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I'm diversified, and 10 years from retirement. I'm going to stick it out.

Silver Wings and Mr.Bones like this.
  9. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Refuge Member

I'm 27, and waiting for a downturn so I'm not buying in at such a damned high price. I like the idea of compiling volume at my age more so than the returns right now.

That said, if I were a little closer to retirement age my perspective would certainly be different right now.

10. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

I retired a couple years ago. I was 70/30 fixed income/equities, but the equity gains pushed it to 57/43. Until today that is :doh. I had already mentally prepared for this and was anticipating it this year. I had hoped to time it, but alas... My crystal ball says this correction will approach 15-20% and then move forward again. How long it takes to get back to where we were last week...I have no idea. I would like to slide 10-15% of my fixed into more equities when and if things hit that level (-15% or so). We'll see how big my stones are soon :rolleyes:

Asia markets off now (Tuesday for them). Probably another ugly day for us tomorrow.