Stocking Foot Waders

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Cafowler, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Cafowler

Cafowler New Member

I just bought my son some stocking foot waders because I would like them to last a couple years while his foot is still growing. What are the best kind of boots/shoes to wear over them? Thanks in advance

2. dsilsby

dsilsby Elite Refuge Member

not cabelas.

3. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

I wore stocking foots for years and now I have them again. I have always worn trooper style boots from Big 5 for about 30 bucks. They are light, cheap, and stay on in mud. Plus now they come with side zippers which make for easy on/off.

Dandy

4. Real Green

Real Green Elite Refuge Member

I went that route with my oldest. FYI- I will not do that with my youngest. The process of getting a kid out hunting is not easy. Second time through decisions will be based on ease of everything.

With stocking foot now you have to deal with another set shoes. To get on and off, keep them tied, COLD feet much harder to manage. Not to mention finding the shoes in the pile of gear and keeping them clean while taking them off and on.

As far as what shoe to use. By the time he was a teenager I resorted to old tennis shoes. They were free and would dry as quick as anything else. No more or less problem with keeping them on in the mud. In the beginning he would use knockoff converse. Buy 2 sizes over his normal shoe size.

Again, for the cost in the off season I will just be buying over size boot fit for my youngest. You can find them for pretty cheap. Much less hassle. Easier to keep feet warm.

Again a young kid can get on and off boot fit on his own or with little help. Stocking foot you are looking at another 5-10 minutes of assistance to get him dressed in the early am.

WILDDUX likes this.
  5. Avg Joe

Avg Joe Senior Refuge Member

A lot of ways to go but for my son (whose feet are still growing), I go to Goodwill and find an appropriate shoe and walk out of there for about $5, The following year you do it over again until his foot stops growing...

callinfowl likes this.
  6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Chuck Taylors were my go to wading shoes, until I found a pair of felt bottom wading shoes on the closeout rack at a local sporting goods store.:tu