Storing decoys in a attic?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by DWB5, Apr 12, 2018.

1. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

I'm in need of more and better storage for all of my decoys. Do you all think it would get to hot if I built shells in the attic and put them all up there?

2. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

Ive stored my floaters in the bags in my garage attic for the past 8 yrs. It gets roughly 120 degrees plus up there at the peak of the summer. So far so good.

DWB5 likes this.
  3. DWB5

Ok thanks for the reply.

4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

No issues in my shed with a loft in it where they are right up against the roof?

DWB5 likes this.
  5. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Not here in Nevada,Mine stay in the spare bedroom in the air conditioning .They are spoiled.

WHUP ! Hen, Tuleman and DWB5 like this.
  6. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

My decoys are either stored in an attic setting or in a hot garage over the summer. The only risks I have noticed with the high heat is bungee straps on keel strap type weights will rot out quickly. Additionally plastic decoy line will tend to break down in hot temps.

DWB5 likes this.
  7. DWB5

Good deal guys. I need more room bad for decoys. Told my buddy last year I need him to come get his decoys so I could fit all mine in the building. So he came over and took 3 decoys home. plus wanting to buy a couple dozen more so the attic will work great!

8. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I've no idea what kind of decoys you're speaking of or how hot your attic gets but do know I've had speck FBs get hot enough to start collapsing and become misshapen under the weight of apparently too many others in my Louisiana decoy shed.

9. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

It certainly is not good for them in the long run, for sure .

Ringbill

10. Big AL1

Big AL1 Refuge Member Sponsor

All plastics contain petrol oils at varied amounts. The petro is what helps to make them more flexible or more rigid in the pellet mix. In the long run all oils slowly dissipate leaving plastics more brittle and easier to crack or snap. Heat is the biggest accelerant and or direct sun for this process. Attics and high heat summers are not the best for storing plastic items. You will do them much better in the basement for the long run. Even the garage... My two cents.

Ringbill likes this.