Study Grouse

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by schlag, Jul 2, 2016.

1. schlag

schlag Senior Refuge Member

Last spring I got to go out with the Minnesota DNR on a Sharptail Lek where they were trapping and radio collaring grouse as part of a multi year study. Mostly they were trapping hens, but they trapped a bunch of males with older radio collars. The farmer let me go back to the lek this spring and I was curious how many collard ones there would still be. Last year there were 8 at one time, but this spring there were never more than 5. _DSC2989_1.jpg _DSC3019_1.jpg _DSC3084_1.jpg _DSC3631_1.jpg

2. schlag

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Nice. Never knew they did that.

4. tom f

tom f Senior Refuge Member

I also never knew they did this. Good info and great pictures. Thanks

5. schlag

I never knew they did this stuff either, but it is way more common now than ever. Now that electronic type stuff is getting so cheap and small, they can find out way more info on various birds in one summer than they could in a decade before. The collars are all weather sealed and they activate by taking a magnet off. I though that was pretty cool.

6. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Neat stuff. The variety grouse in Minnesota makes for an interesting story. Habitat loss is a concern for a few of the species, especially the sharptails

7. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

Very nice photos, and I too did not know that any sharptails were being equipped with radio collars.