Stuffed Duck Breast

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by sjemac, Dec 10, 2005.

1. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

Posted this last year but figured it would fit here again. It's a way of cooking ducks and geese that will appeal even to people who say they don't like waterfowl but still has enough of the duck flavor to appeal to those of us who do like it. Try this out, you won't be disappointed with the results.

Step one: Pluck the breast of a medium to large duck and singe of the pin feathers.
    [​IMG]

Step 2: Cut the breast off the bone in one piece so that you have the 2 halves still connected by the skin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

Step 3: Cut a crosshatch pattern on the meat side of the breast but be carefull not to cut all the way through. Season meat side well with salt and pepper, cajun seasoning, or my favorite --OLD BAY.

[​IMG]

Step 4: Put your favorite stuffing in the breast and tie the breast up with butcher string as shown (skewers or good sharp tooth picks can be used to hold it together too ). The stuffing shown is just ritz crackers, salt, pepper and parsley. But I've used fruit, herb, and sausage stuffings too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 5. Roll in a light dusting of flour and deep fry at about 345-350 until the skin's really nice and brown(or roast at 425 for 20 minutes -- baste with oil or butter as she's going). Take out of oil, drain, dust with your favorite seasoning salt or spice and let sit about 5 minutes before taking off the string and slicing. Should be medium rare when done. I serve this with a drizzle of sauce made from lemon juice, mayonaise, capers, green onion, salt/pepper, hot sauce and worchesteshire.

[​IMG]

3. BullCook

BullCook Elite Refuge Member

nice post
    that's what I'm talking about!!

4. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

That looks really good! :tu

5. 733SubDucker

733SubDucker Elite Refuge Member

that looks great. does the skin crisp up when you fry it? and do you eat the skin?

6. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

Yes and most certainly!

7. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

8. Richard

Richard Elite Refuge Member

No Longer in Bremerton, WA... Now is the Sunny Tri
    outstanding....

I have done something similar.... However, for the stuffing, I used crab meat

9. wscato

wscato Senior Refuge Member

An excellent post with pictures! :tu