Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Stuffer question for the professionals.

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by 2WIDGN, Feb 9, 2018.

1. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

First off I know this is a hated subject. I'm moving right along and enjoy novice taxidermy. Built a flesher today and have all the meat off the legs and wings. Learning the art of sewing because of the accidental holes. Way cheaper to buy Dave Smith Decoys...but as long as I enjoy, who cares. Ok question....videos show hot glue to connect head to neck and body...can I use something stronger? I have a ferebee goose kit from McKenzie. Thanks.

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I don't know how your videos are illustrating the connection but I dremel out a pretty big hole in the back of the artificial head (I'm assuming you're using artificial heads since you mentioned the Ferebee kit)....down to about the base of the bill. I leave about 2" of wire sticking out the head end of the neck. I make loop or horseshoe bend in the end of the neck wire, pump the head cavity with hot glue, insert the looped wire and let it set. I'm sure there is something "stronger" but once cooled I can pick up the mount by the bill and carry it around.

Wildthings likes this.
  3. 2WIDGN

Ok that is different than anything I've seen. Thanks for the response.

4. Brad's Birds

5. 2WIDGN

The video shows drilling a hole all the way through and hot glueing the wire into the hole. Thanks for the picture. I want the stuffers to last so I really want to do everything right.

6. 2WIDGN

I put a warm salt solution on the inside of the skin and let it soak in over night. Then I let the skin soak in dawn water for 45 minutes today, when I removed it from the water there were pieces of fat I could remove with my fingers. The rest of the fat seemed really soft compared to how it felt before the salt and dawn soak, I'm ready to start fleshing. I plan on going really slow...fingers crossed! I'm really excited about getting the skin on the form...still have a ways to go before I make it that far!

7. Brad's Birds

Yeah if you just drill a hole and stick a wire in it, it's going to spin or come lose whether glued or not with any rough handling. Plus the way I showed you can get part of the neck material in there too for a natural fit instead of just up against the back of the skull.

I've never used a salt solution on a bird before so hope that works for you. I just go straight to the wire wheel after skinning and then wash with dawn inside out, then right side out...... good luck with your project.

Wildthings likes this.
  8. 2WIDGN

9. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

It's simple as can be , make sure you let the glue set before moving the head around .... But really DSDs are a far better route than stuffers .... They'll last forever , you can hunt them in the rain , snow or whatever the conditions ... Stuffers done right I'm sure will work as good maybe better than DSDs but don't plan on hunting them unless you have good weather ...
    A buddy of mine hunted honkers with a guide in Washington that had 50 bad *** stuffers ...said he paid 250.00 ea and can only hunt them on clear days so they don't get ruined ...
    But whatever floats your boat .... It's your time and your dime

10. 2WIDGN

Caught the darn flu so it put me a few days behind.... hopefully I'll start fleshing in the morning when I get off work. I own some fully flocked avian x honkers. I realize I'll only be able to use these on days without precipitation and other low moisture days. I plan on building individual boxes for each decoy, hopefully to keep them dry and safe. You're right it's definitely not a cheap adventure but what is... I do know one thing, every penny I paid for birds on my wall was well earned by the taxidermist that created them.

Wildthings likes this.