Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Stuffer question for the professionals.

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by 2WIDGN, Feb 9, 2018.

1. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

Ok, so fleshing isn't my favorite part, burned through a few times. Oh well I have a needle and thread! I built a flesher with a variable speed drill. So I zip tied the trigger at several different speeds until I found one I like. I also bought two different wheels, a nylon bristle and a fine steel wire. I learned that each wheel has a place. The nylon worked great in the thin skin areas near the tail, the wire was necessary to get through the heavier fat. I am enjoying the project overall... hopefully I'll be wiring the wings and legs tomorrow. After all it's a stuffer so a few imperfections won't hurt a thing!

2. 2WIDGN

Well, I learned a lot. She still has to dry and I have work to do on the base and the threaded rod running through the body. Gonna thaw another out tomorrow. Next pose is going to be a feeder. KIMG0107.JPG

Wildthings likes this.
  3. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

Looks really good ... Might want to add a little stuffing in the breast area other than that which isn't a big deal it looks real good . Looks about the size of a DSD lessor ... I'd hunt over them , probably need about 18 ... Keep up the good work ... I'd imagine if you were to ask most bird taxidermist what's their least favorite part of mounting a bird ...it would be the wheel ... Not my favorite part for sure .

4. 2WIDGN

Thanks @HONKSRWORKN. I'm sure I'll get better with each one. The second one is skinned. Less holes than the first.

5. Jay Mo 37

Jay Mo 37 New Member

We hunt stuffers. My buddy makes them. He's been making them for years. I've made them once with him. I need to do it more to get it down pat, but took a little over an hour to make one. He uses dock foam for the body (free), 3/8 rebar for the base (I was able to get 18 pre cut to 42" free), Clay for the head, wire & rubber for the neck, borax to dry out the inside, zip ties for the legs, and nails for the wings. And I know people say it, but there wrong.. You can hunt them in rain, snow etc. They hold up pretty well. And they are cheaper than DSDs. But it depends on what your time is worth.
    As soon as I can figure out how to put a photo on, I'll put some on of them.

2WIDGN likes this.
  6. 2WIDGN

Awesome, looking forward to the photos!

7. Jay Mo 37

Jay Mo 37 New Member

8. Jay Mo 37

Jay Mo 37 New Member

image.jpg image.jpg And here is finished product in action.

9. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Just curious as to how long your stuffer's last. I know how much fat can be on Canada geese.....can take me an hour just to wire wheel the inside after skinning and before washing when mounting one. Just wonder how much grease bleeds through and if they attract mice and/or bugs during the off-season.

10. Jay Mo 37

Jay Mo 37 New Member

My buddy says he has some that are 10 to 15 yrs old. When I made some with him last yr, (didn't get a chance this yr) we used a fine knife to take off the fat then put borax on it to dry them out . Are you washing the whole inside? We don't do that, & Im not sure if its necessary? I think the borax solves that problem . He makes new ones each year, but doesn't use them till the following year. And he stores them in his basement. By that time they are all dried out preventing any mouse problem .