Sub-gauge Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by pointblind, Apr 13, 2016.

1. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

Any else enjoy the added challenge of sub-gauge turkey hunting?

Bows aren't my thing. I've shot several with the 20ga but I guess I don't really consider it a true "sub-gauge" until its under a 20. Got my first 28ga bird this morning in the cold snow/rain. BPS factory full choke. 2 3/4" 7/8oz #6 1300fps. Bird was leveled at 22 yards.

[​IMG]

2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I've shot them with a single shot. .410 years ago. But any gun works when you consistently shoot them inside of 10 yards. That is turkey hunting for me, getting them inside 10 yards.

Always wanted to get one with a pellet or BB gun. Almost got one with my bare hand also.

pointblind likes this.
  3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I went to a 20 years ago, but agree that with new loads it's as good as any 12 we had just a few years back. I have friends who hunt with .410 and 28, but they reload and spend quite a bit of time learning the limitations. Like primitive weapons, it's a great way to add a little extra challenge for those with the patience and mindset to deal with it. Most of us lack the latter. I've cleaned far too many birds with old wounds from hunters who wouldn't let 'em get close enough for a 12.

Quarne and pointblind like this.
  4. duck recruiter

duck recruiter Senior Refuge Member

20's have a great pattern without modifications! I've seen 20's that with an over the counter or factory extra full choke, out pattern a 12 with gunsmith work and custom chokes within 35 steps. Personally I've hunted with a 12 since I was 15yrs or so, but I killed my first 8 or 10 longbeards with a 20.

5. bill cooksey

My 20 has the Remington x-full in it an puts 145+ #7HW in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Can't call that a handicap at all. Since I went with a youth model, it's also lighter than most 12s and easier to shoot from an awkward position. Because of that, I consider it an advantage in my preferred style of hunting.

pointblind likes this.
  6. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

I agree Bill. Because of this, I carry my son's youth model 20 into a couple of wood duck holes on occasion. It's easier to get on those that try to land where you stand.

7. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

MN law requires 20 GA or larger. Also a shot size restriction.

Nice bird!

8. bill cooksey

TN was the same until a few years ago. We still have a shot size restriction of #4 or smaller, but that's obviously an attempt to make accidental shooting less lethal. I really think modern shot types make the small gauges viable assuming the hunter puts in the time to learn the limitations and has the patience to hunt within them.

I wish there were a way to enforce a law that hunters only shot within the range limits of their specific weapon, but it can't be done. I'd rather see a man shooting turkeys at 10-15 yards with a .410 than taking a poke at one five yards too far with a ten gauge.

9. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

I have a .410 BPS I've been wanting to set up for turkeys. Anybody have any input on the best loads/chokes? Thanks.

10. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

7 1/2 shot at ten yards or less kills them plenty dead. Just shoot a few pieces of paper to get an idea on your specific gun.

Dan Mallia likes this.