Summer Trip

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Larry D, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Larry D

Larry D Elite Refuge Member

We are talking about coming up for a trip this June. Looking to maybe fly in and rent a motor home. Any suggestions on rental places and places that are a must see?

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

You better hurry. We just rented our motor home, and the lady said they don't have many left.

We found many reviews/journals from folks on the web. We are starting in Anchorage, then going up to Denali. Then it's south to Seward and the kenai peninsula, turning around at Homer.

I will also be on kodiak island for a month, but that's for work.

3. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

I spend my summers on Kenai Peninsula guiding on the Kenai and on the saltwater. Lots to do, I enjoy Homer and Seward, each is a bit touristy, but still fun, even for locals. You have lots of options with a motorhome! Enjoy our great state!

4. stevena198301

Headed that way Friday! What are the going rates on halibut next week? Wife and I both want to catch one. We are looking into fishing Halibut Cove, unless you got a better suggestion?

5. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

Hmmm...halibut cove is out of homer, but not really halibut there, you will more than likely be headed out to the big water. Are you staying in halibut cove? Homer is a great place to fish halibut. You should be fine the.
    Our boat is in ninilchik, we have been running salmon/halibut combos and doing well, not huge halibut but decent fish. We have also been doing well on the Kenai die salmon, big fish but no keepers, we can only keep good under 36".

6. stevena198301

We are starting in Anchorage (flying in, renting RV), then heading up to Denali. Then to Talketna (sp?), Whittier, Seward, Kenai, and Homer. Probably stops in between, but I'm not tracking them. Intent was to fish out of Homer. Just saw "Halibut Cove" and though, "Probably not a bad place to fish for Halibut". We are going to pay a guide.

Once the wife heads home, I fly over to Kodiak. I'll do some more fishing there.

7. stevena198301

@Larry D; did ya make it up here?

We are having a blast! Halibut fished out of Homer yesterday. No big halibut, but got our limits. Also limited on Rock fish. Salmon are starting up in the rivers (we tried targeting Kings).

@bigreid; the wife had set up a charter through North country. Here's her haul:

KIMG0295.JPG

We've been having the best time. Saw Denali with minimal clouds. Kayaked to a glacier. Saw all sorts of wildlife.

This really is an amazing place.

8. stevena198301

Well, made it back out for one more halibut trip out of Kodiak, AK. Had a great trip. I broke off on a big boy. He got under the boat and hit the prop. Captain said he would have went 150. Ended up with my 4 halibut for the year (biggest I caught was 45), a decent lingcod, and the yelloweye in the pic. Ended up shipping back 75 lbs of fish between the two trips.

I had an absolute blast out there, over 6 weeks. Your state is a very special place.

I have to say, I think you boys are bigger rednecks than even folks from the South! I did not pass one single road sign that hadn't been shot. :l

KIMG0318.JPG

bullpinnie likes this.