Sunday hunting ban in PA going to court

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by The Other David, Jun 5, 2012.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Interesting approach. Maybe this would work in VA where hunting is a constitutional right.

So what about this Constitutional challenge?

Davis said HUSH has had Constitutional scholars review Pennsylvania's Sunday hunting law, as well as pertinent legal cases in various courts, and those analysts have indicated the law is likely to be struck down if challenged in court.

In an oversimplified comparison, Davis explained, "Would you say the press has freedom ? except on Sunday? Or how about, 'You have the right to bear arms ? except on Sunday?'"

Davis didn't want to reveal too much about HUSH's legal strategy ? including naming the group's attorney last week ? but she said part of HUSH's case is rooted in the famous 2008 case of District of Columbia vs. Heller.

In that case, the U.S. Supreme Court ultimately ruled that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home and hunting.

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...#ixzz1wvzf4DV1

2. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

I'm a proponent of Sunday hunting, but it's not an apples to apples comparison.

I can only kill a mallard from October through mid January. Deer has an even more restrictive season, and the arms I can legally used to kill one are further regulated.

What's the difference between imposing a ban on shooting a duck in July vs. on Sunday?

3. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Hunting seasons are generally related to conserving the resource. That's the difference.