Sunflower Alternatives For Doves

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by hartfish, Jul 25, 2017.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Wait... You're supposed to plant it? I thought you just threw it out in a big pile. Been doing it wrong this whole time!

Squaller likes this.
  2. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

The planting is just a "front" for the giant bait pile. Apparently you have been doing it wrong this whole time.

3. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

Apparently I'm naïve about what everyone else really does to attract doves. I actually thought you were supposed to plant wheat in the fall (after dove season), grow it and then burn or mow it prior to dove season.

4. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

You can broadcast wheat on bear ground. As long as you don't exceed the state extension recommended rate or broadcast outside of the recommended planting dates your legal.

5. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Best field I've every hunted is a guy that plants brown top in a pasture every year. Cuts it and bales it a couple weeks before the season. Burns the stubble and sales the hay to get back some of his expense.

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Correct. In Alabama it is 200 lbs per acre per season.

Where I live peanut fields hold the most dub. As long as the beer is cold and the BBQ is good, it's a successful dub shoot IMO.

7. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

Best i ever saw was in wheat that had been planted for erosion control then mowed 30 days before season not baiting per federal game warden

8. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

If you want to attract doves, just rip up a bunch of grass somewhere, start a building site, and let a couple inches of rain fall in the tire ruts. Especially if you have gravely clay soil. You'll be covered up in doves in no time.

9. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Refuge Member

I had the same problem the first year I planted sunflowers (South Central Iowa). The gold finches and other seed eating bandits went crazy and took about every seed prior to the opener. I was told my plot was too small by various sources including biologists that manage for doves (1/2-3/4 acre the first year). I now plant 5-7 acres and while the songbirds still do a little damage they don't even come close to eating all of the seed now. We had a tremendous dove season last year and it looks like things are shaping up to be good again this year (weather permitting of course).

The cliff notes version is plant more sunflowers. You will be glad you did!!!!

auto5 likes this.
  10. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Refuge Member

BTW. This might sound crazy but we went as far as putting hair nets on our seed heads................had a friend that could get a box of 200'ish and we placed them. Did not need them last year but they did keep the songbirds off those plants where they were placed.

Good luck