Sunflowers - Bring on 9/1

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by hannibal, Aug 13, 2017.

1. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

These are Clearfield Sunflowers planted on 4/23/2017. Although I am pleased with the overall result they are generally smaller than my plants last year. I broadcast and had problem with ATV broadcaster this year so had to improvise a bit and may have over planted. At any rate DSC04909.JPG DSC04921.JPG DSC04928.JPG DSC04960.JPG DSC04961.JPG the doves won't mind. Plan to start mowing next weekend so we are ready for 9/1. Doves are in the area and already using the stand (as are the damn finches that work on them pretty good).

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

looks like broadcasting heavy kept the weeds out very well. Did you spray herbicide prior to planting?

3. hannibal

Duckbuster. I did not do any pre-emerge herbicide and have not the prior two years. I disked, broadcast seed and then sprayed post-emerge Beyond Herbicide when the sunflowers were about 4-8 leaf stage and when the weeds and grasses were starting to come (most 4-8" in height). That has worked very well for me over the past couple of years and keeps the weed competition down for sure. Did a little spot spraying but very limited as the Beyond Herbicide is extremely pricey. I hope they lose their patent soon so a generic can be purchased. The good news is it only takes 4 oz per acre but at $500+ a gallon I am pretty careful in not over-using. I do think I can get at least 5-6 seasons use with the one gallon for the plot I plant and I don't have to apply pre-emerge to get good results even though it calls for it………I personally don't think the pre-emerge is worth the extra cost and work involved.

Good luck this Fall.

duckbuster5901 likes this.
  4. Cedarlakeforge

Cedarlakeforge New Member

Those look good. I planted 2 acres and the deer hammered about 3/4 of an acre of them. I used prowl pre-emerge herbicide but no beyond ( to pricey this year). This was my first year for sunflowers. I did put down 100 lbs to the acre 13-13-13. They are kinda weedy but doing pretty good. There clearfield sunflowers. Next year I plan to step up and get some beyond. It's expensive if you do it right.

5. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Refuge Member

They were mowed to the ground this past weekend. Birds were already using the field pretty good but should really be hammering it now that they are on the ground. 9 days til opener!

And yes, the beyond is stupid expensive. Mine got a little weedy towards the end but when I brush hogged them this past weekend cleaned up pretty well with lots of dirt exposed which, as you probably know, doves prefer!

Good luck

6. Cedarlakeforge

I never thought about mowing them down. Is that a lot better than standing?

7. hannibal

Doves are ground feeders and the cleaner the field the better. Definitely mow as low as you can go and if you have access to a disk, disk a few spots and create some soft bare dirt areas.

Good luck

8. Cedarlakeforge

Thanks , Hannibal , gotta get th brushog out

9. Cedarlakeforge

Thanks guys, I'm learning