Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Survey on favorite caliber

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Cariboo, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Cariboo

Cariboo Elite Refuge Member

Lets start this new forum off by getting to know each others tastes in firearms.

I shoot a .30-06 for all my big game hunting. I usually feed it 180 grain handloads and with it I am good for all the game I hunt, deer, moose and black bear, out to a true 250 yards.

I myself have never been a fan of the heavy magnum calibers. I don't enjoy shooting them and, with very few exceptions, I have not seen many people who are able to shoot them well. (If you can take the recoil, and practice a lot, my hat is off to you. :D )

2. kduckman-CA

kduckman-CA Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a 30-30 but my favorite caliber would have to be a 7mm. I think they are a great big game gun. But for now I will have to just deal with my 30-30.

3. Otto

Otto Banned

I shoot a 7mm I chase Elk,Bear,Deer(blacktail,mule,whitetail)
    My loads are factory,,,,150 grain.
    I usually never get a wink of sleep the night before deer opener. I love 6 inches of fresh snow, smoke filtering from the stove pipe on the tent, the smell of campfire coffee, the crackling of twigs/branches as an animal walks up the trail, eating a spam sandwich at 9 in the morning, listening to all the stories of the day, getting stuck in the truck, getting unstuck, passing on an animal, deciding to pull the trigger, taking a hot shower after a week out.
    This list could go on an on, I am glad we our now able to talk about it here at the refuge. Thanks David

4. BRUNO

BRUNO Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a 7MM Rem-mag and a .308 win. Both cartridges are great, but there's not much that can reach out like the 7MM. I usually shoot around 150 grain for Caribou and 180 for Moose. I used to own a Win M70 Classic Featherweight in .270, that was a beautiful gun if you had to hump cross country, nice and light, good range, and flat trajectory.

5. chocoduckdog

chocoduckdog Guest

First off let me say "COOOOOOLLLLL FORUM"!!!!
    I get to talk about it all here!

I have alot of rifles i like to hunt with but my trusty old .300 win. mag. is the one i use the most. I had it built about 6yrs. ago and after i sighted it in I haven't had to touch it sense! It's a ruger #1 and after a year of working up the right load, it likes to burp out 180gr. Partitions wich handles all the deer and elk (paper also) that i shoot.

The recoil of the big magnums doesn't bother me YET, but i'm sure the days coming!! :D
    I just bought a new Rem. 300 ultra mag and that has a little nudge to it. ;)

I'm just like otto, can't sleep the week before the opener. The only problem is, theres alot of openers!!!!! :D :D

6. BRUNO

BRUNO Senior Refuge Member

chocoduckdog, What do you think of the .300 ultra? I was thinkin of getting a new cannon and am kinda stuck between the 7MM STW or the .300 ultra. I haven't had a chance to check out the .300 but man the STW is nice...FAST!!!!

7. David @ The Refuge

David @ The Refuge Founder Moderator

My only big game challenges are against the Whitetail Deer, and I really enjoy my Browning BAR 30-06 for this purpose.

I have a Ruger 243 waiting on my son once he reaches age.

David

8. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

I love my 7mm mag, bought it when I graduated from high school to go out west. Lotsa one shot kills are a real confidence booster.

Nothing wrong with my 30-06 either.

Lets put it this way, pick yur terrain, and I probably have something tucked away that is ideal for it...

9. suprblckeagle

suprblckeagle Senior Refuge Member

i use .308 for whitetail, haven't had one problem. i absolutely love this gun. like lwing said, one shot kills are nice, and i haven't had anything run more than 50 yards on me with it yet.

10. featheredfriend

featheredfriend Elite Refuge Member

Use mostly a .303 but also kike the 7 mm Rem Mag. that bullet has great trajectory!
    I use 150 gr. for caribou and bear, 180's for moose.