Survey on favorite caliber

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Cariboo, Jul 28, 2001.

1. sport240

sport240 Senior Refuge Member

Just picked-up a new Remington model 700 in .300 Win. Mag with muzzlebrake. Have'nt tried it out yet but will be hunting for moose with it this fall, probably with 180 gr. nosler partition.

Sport240

Hit 'em once, but hit 'em hard!!!

2. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

The new short magnums By Remington and Winchester. Less kick, same velocity, more accurate.

3. SUSQUASH

SUSQUASH Guest

I can relate to a lot of the replies on the best caliber. I now hunt with a Pattern 17 Enfield in 7 MM Mag and dearly love it. Also have Pattern 17 Sporterized in 30-06, as well as full military British .303 and a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. To be honest I have probably killed more Michigan deer in my hunting career with a Marlin lever in .357 Mag. No matter what caliber you hunt with it will do the job as long as you practice so you are familiar with the weapon, know its limitations, your limitations and keep your shots within those boundries.

4. marshrat

marshrat Senior Refuge Member

Falcon, Colorado, USA, formerly Wisconsin and Mich
    I have a bad habit of getting rid of guns for something "better"...started off with a Marlin .30-30, and killed two bucks with one shot each in their tracks inside 50 yards. Went to an '06 bolt, Win 94, another '06 bolt, another Marlin, Browning A-Bolt that was terribly inaccurate (a lemon I think) and recoiled HARD (they're light in .30-06), another 94, Rem 700 .300 Win Mag, Rem 7400 .308, Browning BAR .30-06. I now have a Win 70 7mm Rem Mag cuz the 7mm Mag was born the same year I was...1962.

I have shot many deer and a black bear.I have made two long shots on purpose, but other than that the deer I have killed have been inside 200 yards EASY and most inside 100 yards. I think for carrying around, light weight, very adequate power, durability, I like a .30-30 lever action with a peep sight like the Williams FP series. I have never had a deer run with a shot to the goodies with a .30-30.

5. All very good guns. But I use a 270 Mag Weatherby, and 300 Mag for Elk Remington. I should have waited a year and bought the 300 ultra. Oh well just another excuse to purchase a gun.
    When I want to have fun, 22-250.
    WMM :D

6. TWOTON

TWOTON Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a30-06 with 165gr. handloaded bullets and a 7mm.-08 with 160gr handloaded bullets.In Arkansas Deer hunting ia about allthe big we have.Most of my shots are in the 150yd-250yd.range.I shoot about 50-75 rounds in a year working up loads.I won't use one if I can't get under 1in.at 100yds. ;)

7. SHOTTGUN4

SHOTTGUN4 Senior Refuge Member

I love to hunt with my modle 100 .308 but the next gun I want to get will be a .270 pump cuase I usually shoot about 2 cases through my 870 super mag so I really need a pump gun.

8. duck up

duck up Senior Refuge Member

I have a gun for almost all game. My all around is the Ruger 7mm.For deer or antelope I use my 270 sometimes. If I know Ill be shooting elk at long range, 400 plus then I will use my 300 weatherby mag, the other guns will get out there that far, but they just dont have the knock down power once they go over 350.

9. Moose

Moose Elite Refuge Member

The .300 Win is what I have.The price was right when I bought it and it is accurte.

The gun I want is the .257 weatherby with a set trigger thats in a friends gun collection.
    Moose

10. duckcatcher

duckcatcher Senior Refuge Member

Dartmouth,NovaScotia, via Alberta , Canada
    Used to have a 30-06 remington and loved it but traded in the heavy stuff for the ol' scattershot as it became more fun and it was easier to find places to hunt!! Also dont make fun of that ol' .303 as I too shot my first whitetail buck with it!! Always very reliable.