Survey on favorite caliber

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Cariboo, Jul 28, 2001.

1. stuffedgreen

stuffedgreen Senior Refuge Member

Winchester composite 30-06.

2. Grand Passage

Grand Passage Elite Refuge Member

My favorite is my Mountain Eagle .338. Sako action, bench grade Krieger barrel. This rifle is a tack driver and the .338 is very flat shooting and really flattens animals. I initially was using it for guiding big game in Alaska but I've also used it for deer and elk in lower 48.

3. jajose

jajose Senior Refuge Member

REMINGTON .270, I LIKE A BULLET THAT KNOCKS EM DOWN,NOT ONE THAT KILLS AND GUTS THEM AT THE SAME TIME. :eek:

4. davesterjr

davesterjr Banned

LAZZERONI FIREHAWK 7MM spitting 140 grain Nosler Partition at 3500FPS can you say screamer.

5. waterfowler835

waterfowler835 Senior Refuge Member

I guess I am still experimenting. For the last few years, it has been the 7.62X39 out of an SKS or AK. Great brush guns for short range (less than 150). Took a couple that DROPPED with an old moisin nagant. Still like the 308 win for all around though.
    Dazed and confused... :rolleyes:

6. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

Well I will throw my favorite in here. I personally shoot a Winchester Model 88 Pre-64 .284 Winchester Magnum. Ballistically it outperforms the 7mm mag and is as flat shooting as all the other Short belted magnum rounds. Now for those of you that know these kind of guns the 284 was introduced in 1963 so that makes the one I have a collectors item also since it was only made with a hand cut stock for one year.

7. duck pond

duck pond Refuge Member

I love my sportorized 8x57 mauser. Only had it one year but love how it shoots.

8. IDLABS

IDLABS Senior Refuge Member

I shoot my 25.6 for everything from whitetail deer to elk. Hasn't let me down yet. I have a nice 300 but figured why take the recoil when my 25.6 does the job.

9. TX DUCK CUTTER

TX DUCK CUTTER Elite Refuge Member

Model 700 7-mag 140's for deer or 180's for big game.

10. NDTerminator

NDTerminator Elite Refuge Member

I have and hunt with rifles in 22-250, 243, 270, 300 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45-70.I also have used quite a number of other calibers. Lately, I've been hunting during firearms season out of my bowhunting tree stands,which means shots at 20 yards or less. That being the case, I took my deer last year with the 45-70 and 44 Mag (both Marlins, real short & handy in a tree stand). The buck I killed with the 45-70 died in one impressive hurry!The doe I took with the 44 Mag ran 50 yards and went down. That all being said, I have taken more big game with a 270 of one flavor or another, than all the rest combined, and the 270 is unquestionably my favorite big game caliber. My current favorite is the wedding present I got from my wife, a Remington 700 LH, stainless steel, grey laminated stock, with the trigger adjusted to 3.5 pounds. Took a fine 14" antelope with it last year. The 270 may not be best for everything, but its a helluva good average...