Survey on favorite caliber

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Cariboo, Jul 28, 2001.

1. grnwng

grnwng Senior Refuge Member

Dang Waterproof I thought I was the only person that shoots a .284 Win. Mine was built with a Herters BSA-U9 medium length action with the headspace set for a 160gr speer SBT. It's fully glass bedded and will put every one through the same hole at 100yrds. That is one rifle that will NEVER get traded or sold.

2. mlhunter

mlhunter Elite Refuge Member

I use a Browning BAR 30-06 for deer, elk, and bear.

3. mlhunter

mlhunter Elite Refuge Member

.25-06 for coyote hunting.

4. billwnr

billwnr Elite Refuge Member

I've got a few rifles to pick from, but if I'm going deer hunting my choice is a Win 70 Featherweight I got close to 20 years ago in 7mm Mauser caliber. It's a nice rifle to carry, as I carry it lots more than I shoot it. It's not the tops in accuracy nor velocity but it gets the job done.

Antelope hunting is a different story. I have a heavy barreled .25-06 I use that shoots 120 grain HPs less than half inch (shot some groups with it that went .14) and is loaded hot. I've never missed an antelope with it, but then I usually go for standing or trotting antelopes... mostly standing as I sneak in the sagebrush for them.

Funny story is I've shot deer farther with my 7mm Mauser than antelope with the .25-06.

Past couple of years I've been using my bow for deer hunting in WA state as it's a "pick your method" state. In Montana I carry my 7mm Mauser as the racks are lots bigger.

5. Rod

Rod Guest

Sako bolt action 270 Win. rifle with 150 gr. Nosler Partition handloads.

I also like to use a bolt action 22 rimfire for rabbits and target shooting.

6. IDLABS

IDLABS Senior Refuge Member

Ive killed Alot of Elk with my 25-06 and quit a few deer. I have a browning A-bolt 300 that I started shooting again this year. Alot of times where I hunt you are shootin 300 yards or more.

7. primeduck

primeduck Elite Refuge Member

My "Big Game" hunting mainly consists of whitetail deer. I guess my favorite gun is my Remington 700BDL in .270. Man, deer don't walk away from it. It really does a job on em'! I also have a BDL in 30-06 that I use that is a close 2nd. I started using those Winchester Supreme Ballistic Tip in 168gr & I'm IMPRESSED!!! It is one accurate & DEADLY round!

8. poule d'eau

poule d'eau Refuge Member

Well fellas guess I'm the odd man out again? Bows, blackpowder guns only saw one hand gun hunter here. 7-30 Waters is one h$#@! of agood round out of a 14 inch pocket rifle. I myself like 7mm TC/U. (7mmX223) To date I have harvested (poltically correct?) 5 Kansas white tails at 75-150 yards. Yes I do use a scope for shot placment. I do shoot .270 Rem., and 25-06 in my rifles just not as much in the past few years.

9. MallardAddict

MallardAddict Elite Refuge Member

I will wade into this one with BIGJOHN. I also shoot a Browning Abolt W/ Boss in .338 and absolutley love it, the Barnes XLC, Nosler Partition and the now defunct Trophy Bonded Bullets all shot with accuracy and authority. I also own a 22-250, a .270, and my new toy is 7mm STW, used it this year and shot my deer at close to 300yds. I shoot a 150 gr Partition at 3582 fps average which is very close to winchesters XP2 (i think its called) factory load of 150 gr bullets at 3500 plus, sighted 2 1/2 high at 100yds my ballistics program claims that bullet finally hits 6" low at close to 470 yds. Its the flattest fastest 7mm in the game even faster then Remingtons new 7 Ultra Mag except for in remington loads (go figure). But then again both these rounds like lots of powder, as some of our loads encroach on 90 grs of powder with no pressure issues, but these loads are all set up for a Ruger #1, which has notoriously long throats and good actions .I bought it becuase we hunt deer in plowed wheat fields in Eastern Wa, and 400 yd shots are possible. all the 7mm's seem to do very well and are popular where we hunt, my step mom shoots a 7mm-08 with 139 gr speers at 2900 fps and its pure poison to deer as well. I favor my .338 for big game and how well it shoots (under 1/4" 3 shots in its fav load), but its impossible to argue with any 7 due to the options in bullest available.. Just my .02 cents but aside from my 22-250, i woudl not hesitate too shoot deer or elk with any of my rifles.