SuV choice

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Zehyani, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Zehyani

Zehyani Senior Refuge Member

would like some advise. I am looking for a new Suv, and have narrowed it down to a late model (2010-2014) Ford explorer, Nissan Xterra and Toyota 4 runner. I live in Minnesota, and handle snow. I also go up north to grouse hunt, so again snow. My boat is small and anything can pull it.

I keep my cars a long time, but am frankly confused. I want 4wd, and would like a manual transmission, but only the Nissan has one and they are hard to find.
    All advice appreciated. thank you very much.

2. bgoldhunter

bgoldhunter Senior Refuge Member

I'd go with a 4runner and live with an auto...

3. Zehyani

thanks. Is that because of build quality, reliability, personal preference? Also any thoughts on the FJ cruiser?

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I'd go 4Runner, but I am a Toyota fan through and through. I've owned most all brands of P/U trucks, and Toyota will get my business every time. They are reliable and very capable. I just rolled 200K on the 2008 Tundra I have. Still purrs like a kitten until I make it roar like a lion :)dv). Engines (V6 and V8) are made in my hometown, and provide many jobs for folks here, including some of my buddies. Quality control/Quality acceptance is great.

As for the FJ, I loved my 2007, but it is like riding in a tank. It takes some getting used to. Lots of blind spots. 4Runner is better for most. Both are exceptional.

I had 2 bad experiences on both the brank new Nissans I bought (Sentra and Frontier), and they don't hold their value quite as well as a Toyota (or didn't then, I haven't looked at one since).

You should go and drive them all though, and see how they do for you.

5. Scaledog90

Scaledog90 New Member

Nissan Xterras are junk

6. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Definitely downscale versus your other 2 choices...

7. Scaledog90

Scaledog90 New Member

I do like those Toyota Sequioa's. There huge inside and you can get a 4x4

8. Scaledog90

Scaledog90 New Member

9. Zehyani

Tried an xterra stick shift. Very nice to drive on the road, but too tippy, not enough other safety features. Engine seems strong. I am going to look at the 4runner again. The explorer seems too much like a car.

10. bgoldhunter

bgoldhunter Senior Refuge Member

Stevena pretty much hit it...great build quality and on/off road abilities. Easy to mod if you wish, and great resale value.