Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Suzuki 3 gallon tank question??

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by jrothWA, Jul 1, 2018.

1. jrothWA

jrothWA Senior Refuge Member

Cleaning out a used Suzuki tank and it has the "universal" hose connection" attached,
    can I remove and turn-in a Evinrude /Johnson connection for use?

OR make an intermediate hose for the Evinrude /johnson hose??

Also, tried rinsing out tan with gas and filtering through four coffee filters, I thinking of letting everything evaporate and then swilling with lot soapy water and flush with hose and let evaporate of asphalt drive. What you you think??

2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

You can either change the entire hose or just the hose end to convert it from Susuki to Jonrude. In regard to the tank, what's the issue? It is rust, or just lacquer that's built up in the tank. If lacquer, use lacquer thinner or gas will work too. If it's rust, it kinda depends on how much rust. Old trick I used to use was to add BB's to the tank and slosh them around, it would knock most of the rust off. If it's really rusty check into the POR-15 system. (Don't use the Kreme, I've had bad luck with the coating flaking and cracking). I'm sure you'll get some other ideas on cleaning the tank.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

4. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Should work fine. I've done two of mine using Simple Green instead of soap. Just make sure it's rinsed well! :tu

5. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Isn't it easier to get a new tank?
    I have a NIB original Suzuki tank and hose.

6. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

stevena198301 likes this.
  7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yes.

Think Naval Jelly, but in a liquid (instead of goopy) form.

stevena198301 likes this.
  8. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

That's good to know. I have never heard of this product before but I can recommend some friends try it

Mayes

9. Native NV Ducker

I was thinking about my answer while doing yard work.......

It is thin, not thick. Not much smell. Reusable. As an example of how it works, I stake out a pretty substantial Christmas display (inflatables) and I use those nail looking stakes, 12". Come NYE, I take it down, but usually can't get the stakes out. So they sit there till Spring. Pretty rusted. I put em in a pan and cover them with evaporust, and by morning, all the rust is gone. They are pretty pitted up, but rust free.

Of course, you need to protect the metal after treating, as anything will re-rust quickly.

What I don't know (reference the question) is how well it will penetrate the threads of a stuck choke. I 'think' it would, but I can't swear to it.

If a guy wanted to clean out a small tank, that is what I would use. Just keep swirling it around every few hours, to keep it wet. (Or buy a bunch, and just fill it up) The gallon I have is probably 2 years old. I just let it settle and pour it off when it clears up.

I got the idea from a wood working magazine. They were talking about what things you SHOULD buy from Harbor Freight. This was one of em.

mmayes, Phytoplankton and GUNNERX2 like this.
  10. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

If it's a 3 or 6 gallon tank, might be better to just replace it with a plastic one. If you decide to clean it, be sure to put a filter on the line to catch any residual rust.

Dogface likes this.