Swamp Timothy?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by hannibal, Aug 7, 2017.

1. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

DSC04900.JPG DSC04906.JPG

2. hannibal

Clayton.................anyone? Is that what some refer to as Swamp Timothy? We have more of it this year than in years past. Good? Bad?

3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Kinda looks like plain ol Timothy to me. What's the problem ? Good lookin' corn.

4. hannibal

WHUP. Yeah, I'm not complaining...........corn crop is very good this year. We almost always have predominately smartweed and millet grow in-between the corn areas. Just seemed odd that this Timothy came on so strong this year and out of nowhere. I thought the same thing..........looked like plain old Timothy. Was not sure of the value of it for ducks and then I read about this Swamp Timothy that I have never heard of before. Was just curious.

Let the games begin!!!!

5. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

That is a heck of a stand. I usually only see a few scattered plants or room sized patches. Yes it is considered s desirable food source.

Albino Woodie likes this.
  6. hannibal

Thanks Clayton. Is this just regular old Timothy or Swamp Timothy. If it's desirable probably don't matter. Just curious.

7. bwelty

bwelty Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]This is swamp timothy.

8. bwelty

bwelty Elite Refuge Member

Could this be it? I'm not 100% sure, but did not know what swamp timothy was?

Common locations

• - Moist soil
      [​IMG][​IMG]
    Yellow Foxtail Scouting and Prevention:
    The stem of a Yellow Foxtail is typically rounded and stand at about 4ft. tall. The leaf blades are about 2 to 12 inches long with a spiral twist on most of them. The top of the leaves are hairless, aside from the long hairs that grow from the base and lower edges of the plant. The flower heads are yellow to reddish, densely packed, and shaped like a spike with a bristly appearance. The bloom of these flowers takes place from June to December.