Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Swans

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Scotty, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

Only a certain number of permits for the flyway. If Delaware or another state opens a season then the permits are allocated by percentage of population that a state winters, split among states with a season. Virginia and North Carolina would see a decrease in permits, and right when Virginia is about to get more.

2. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Actually, neither Blackduck or I are completely right on the allocation of swan permits (but he is much more right than I)...suggest reading the "Management Plan For The Eastern Population Of Tundra Swans" (Appendix C "EP Tundra Swan Harvest Strategy") for all the details. Someone may want to cut and paste that appendix section on here? The formula for distribution of swan hunting permits to a new state has several layers of alternatives for where that new state's permits would/could come from, and is somewhat complicated. The formula can lead back to a dilution of North Carolina/Virginia's available permits to a new swan hunting state.

3. Sir Whackalot

Sir Whackalot New Member

Would love to have a MD swan permit! Would be willing to pay more, especially knowing I could kill one on the first trip.

4. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Been hunting in MD for 60 years, and it seems like I hear MD might have a swan season every year. Not holding my breath.

MDcanvasback and 7bartman like this.
  5. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

Been saying for years that this would be the most effective way to control the mute swan population in the bay. Issue tundra swan permits by lottery, then allow swan permit holders to shoot as many mute swans as they can, until they shoot one tundra swan.

6. chesapeake honker

chesapeake honker Elite Refuge Member

Tree huggers would never allow it.. They'd be up Annapolis lobbying so damn quick it would make your head spin..

7. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Sure would be nice though. I seen close to 500 today while out diver hunting