Swapped the gas gun for a pump all smiles today

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Golovkin, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

About a month ago I picked up an 870 and left the 11-87 at home. It wasn't the perfect marriage I'd hoped for. Started out short shucking a few shells, forgot to pump a few times in between birds, and couldn't hit as consistent. I couldn't see myself hitting doubles with this gun so I even took hje 11-87 back out for some good old times.

Today it was -15f and I could tell by the frost that my gas gun was going to have fits, so I threw the improved cylinder in the 870 and headed out hoping for the best.

Two others had autos, a browning silver and some cz auto. The cz never did fire a round, apparently the factory oil froze, and the Browning turned into a clumsy single shot after about 5rnds.

The 870 had a one shot - two birds, followed by a triple on mallards! It worked flawless and ended up getting the other guys limits.

I'd planned on saving up for a super black eagle, but I'm kind of liking this pump gun reliability.

JP and Slough Smell like this.
  2. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

N the fact there 250 after rebate verse 1500. I actually considered buying a new 870 every year n sell it at end of season for 150. By the time I spend 1500 total dollars on 870 like this is b buying a new fancy gun anyhow.

3. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

So how did your buddies like shooting the 870?

jzoo and Doc E like this.
  4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Glad your 870 did well.
    I can't see three guns or at least two failing in cold weather, that to me points to the ammunition not the guns.
    Most ammo is made to shoot in all temperatures even waterfowling ammo, manufacturers don't know what temperatures you'll be shooting in so they make the ammo safe if it's very hot or cold out. Since it's made safe for the hot end of temps, which means it won't go overpressure in high temperatures, the very cold end of temperatures also has a negative affect on ammo.
    Winchesters lab did some testing of loads in the cold vs. warm weather interesting results..
    In 70 degree temps the test load was 1322 fps @ 10975 psi, in 0 degrees the same test load was 1235 fps @ 9375 psi. Now take it down to minus 15 degrees and you may wind up with even lower pressures and velocities depending on the loads being used. Gas operated guns won't work correctly if the ammo fails like that.

Vahunter and brentbullets like this.
  5. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

The real matter is that -15* shouldn't even be possible. Absolute zero should be around 20*F. Those ducks just lined themselves up in front of the only gun that was functioning to end it all.:l

Dek and Golovkin like this.
  6. Echo

Echo Senior Refuge Member

It's not the ammo, it's the oil in the autos. Gels up in cold weather, slows down, or stops the action.
    Too much oil gels up receivers when it's really cold out.

The_Duck_Master and bullpinnie like this.
  7. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

All three of you shared one gun ?

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

There are oils that can reduce/eliminate that issue if I'm not mistaken.

Vahunter and The_Duck_Master like this.
  9. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Well with out all the details it’s hard to figure out why the other 2 guns were not working. It’s only -2 with a wind chill about -15 below here, and as I was sitting in the Blind the other day listening to the young guy covered from head to toe in Sitka gear claim it’s the warmest gear made. I simply smiled and said either turn off the heater you are sitting on top off or go stand outside for a while, then will talk. When it’s that cold around here we turn up the heater. If you guys are facing those elements with no blind or shelter of any type and you can sit still for more than a hour I would be interested in your choice of clothing. Like someone else stated in those conditions you might be doing the birds a favor. Only thing left for us that time of the year with those temps are Canada’s and with a limit of 2 setting up and taking down the spread in that kind of weather is no big deal, sitting still is a whole different story. I bought a 2 piper for those days, turned out to be a good excuse to buy another gun as my SP 10 works fine in the cold.

Stay warm, would love to see some pictures of where your hunting

GK1 likes this.
  10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

We were out at 9 degrees yesterday plus wind and my ancient SBE became a single shot. Frustrating, because we were on the X, working big flocks of honkers all the way into the decoys.