Swapped the gas gun for a pump all smiles today

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Golovkin, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Ok, so a pump, any pump gun will most likely work in -15 weather and a semi might jam.

............so what?

2. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I’ve got a wing master and reliable is not what I would call it. Granted it was purchased new in 2000

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Looking like single digits and 15mph north winds early next week in the areas I hunt. Single digits don't make me dress much different than 20s, but the wind forecast will have me taking a little more care. I live in the south, but my area deals with single digits most years. We just don't usually have to do it more than a few days at a time.

Plumbers are licking their chops around here.

4. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

A Wingmaster from 2000 is not the same as a Wingmaster from the 80's

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  5. tjones

tjones Senior Refuge Member

"ancient SBE"?

6. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

Whoa, slow down! We are still trying to figure out what -15f is...

ronaldo and The_Duck_Master like this.
  7. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I lived in Memphis for 12 years and I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard about someone's pipes freezing and bursting from an extreme cold snap.

8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Yes. Ancient SBE is one of the original H&K-made ones that is probably 18-20 years old. I bought it used a long time ago.

I did figure out why I had a single shot the other day. Recoil spring housing had backed out where it was threaded into the receiver by about 1/8", plus I had taken the gun out of a warm truck and the condensation had me froze up. Fixed the spring, cleaned the gun while I was at it (wasn't that dirty) and test fired multiple three shot volleys at 8-15 degrees F after leaving the gun outside. Works like a champ. Spits out hulls as fast as I can pull the trigger.

The_Duck_Master and Golovkin like this.
  9. BENSSS

BENSSS New Member

bought my 870 wingmaster in 1965 and still use it. they always work even with a spring out of a pen in it. (like the old fords-bailing wire and tape held them together) most people use to much oil in their guns! and after cleaning sit in safe with barrel up (gunsmiths christmas) never heard anyone complain about reliability of an old wingmaster hot or cold. that cold weather hunting is for young men but i sure miss it (and being young)

JP and Golovkin like this.
  10. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

Don't give up on either your Rem 11-87, or an older Mod 1100 should you have one. Though I shot an 870 long before Du Pont sold Remington Arms to an investment group.

Years ago (mid-1980s) I was given a Rem 1100 12 ga that a doctor friend had misused by inserting a 16 ga shell ahead of the 12 ga shotshell which it was chambered for. Being a doctor, he obviously blamed the faulty mechanical device, and subsequently gave the broken shotgun to me.

Back then, Remington Arms had a large number of factory certified armorers throughout the U.S. and I had personally used a really good one that was then located just outside of Memphis, Tenn.

He removed the exploded barrel, busted wooden forearm, and replaced them with a backbored, plain, modified, 28" Reminington barrel; and a Choat synthetic forearm. He enlarged the gas ports in the barrel which allowed the gun to cycle lighter loads, and replaced all of the O-rings. But most importantly, he said to reduce the lubrication to only a dry moly-lube. And I quickly replaced the wooden stock with a Choat skellatonized prototype.

That shotgun functions (as Phil Robertson once said:) "Boom-Boom-Boom" - with all loads (steel or lead) in weather down to at least 5-degrees F. And remains my go-to pheasant shotgun today for those really cold & windy South Dakota hunts - with 2.75", 1300 fps lead #5s & 4s, in that order.

My oldest son's the-first M-2 found some difficulty in the sub-zero weather, while my old 1100 never missed a lick - 2.75" shells or 3".

All of the older gas guns can be made to shot - but it really helps to have a good gunsmith make sure they are brought into the proper specifications to do so.

MEMO: Never hunt waterfowl with any shotgun that you can't boat away from, should you drop it in the marsh, lake, or a river.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Golovkin likes this.