Swapped the gas gun for a pump all smiles today

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Golovkin, Dec 27, 2017.

1. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

Allways replace the Benelli recoil springs with the aftermarket-SST or high-nickel content springs. And store the shotgun barrel down.

And if they get really wet - take them apart and wash with WD-40; wipe them dry; and then apply ONLY the dry Molly lubricant.

And I have always polished their hard-chromed chambers for the first 2-3 seasons, because they can still rust and/or buildup unwanted deposits.

Golovkin likes this.
  2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

At least 10 years ago I threw Surecycle stainless recoil and magazine springs into it. You should have seen the condition of the factory original spring when I did so.

Golovkin likes this.
  3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

One thing worth noting, I've seen 870s, and other pumps, lock up during ice storms. Autos generally become single shots in those conditions, but pumps literally lock up and prevent even loading another shell until you bust or melt the ice away. A double gun is the only sure repeater in those conditions.

4. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Protect the chamber and always face it down.cucle the action every now and then as well to ensure it’s still free.

Golovkin likes this.
  5. bill cooksey

Good advice for when the scenario allows. I generally do that in ground blinds no matter what due to dirt and debris. In pits and blinds though, often the only safe way to have the guns is barrel up along the front wall. It's virtually impossible to shield the action in that scenario. The ice storm issue is probable irrelevant to the majority of people here as they might never hunt in one. I seem to find myself in one every couple of years.

Golovkin likes this.
  6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I've seen a guy have to beat his pump against a tree to free up the action on a blistering cold, icy day. Basically had to butt-stroke the tree several times to bust the ice out of it. He thought he was good to go until he figured out his safety was frozen also.

Vahunter, CanardNoir and Golovkin like this.
  7. mallardhunter

mallardhunter Senior Refuge Member

Watched the late Jim Thompson hold a frozen 870 in his bare hands until it thawed out. Made my hands hurt just to watch.

8. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Not entirely true. I hunted in a freezing rain and one of the firing pins in my over/under froze and the gun was reduced to a single shot. Drove me stark raving mad as the ducks started pouring into the hole.

Golovkin likes this.
  9. bill cooksey

Thank God you had a double. Imagine the frustration of the firing spring freezing on a gun with only one.

Golovkin likes this.
  10. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

I once dropper (1966; it actually it fell off a tree limb) a year-old-20 ga Browning O/U into the frozen & muddy Tallahatchie River backwaters. Talk about something not wanting to shoot at all, even with a selective trigger. Its next trip was to Browing in Missouri!

But the general concept has always been - To keep your fowling piece - DRY!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018