Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Goose Confit, Swiss Chard and Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Bill McAdam, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Bill McAdam

Bill McAdam Senior Refuge Member

I posted this on the regular cooking forum before I knew the Recipe forum was the place to do it.

Hey all.
    Just tried a new recipe last might and thought I'd pass it along.
    Because you have to make Confit first, it's not a quick fix, but I made the confit last January and had it in the freezer, so it was quick last night.

Here's the Rx I started with:

Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Liberty Duck Confit, Brown Clamshell Mushrooms
    and Swiss Chard
    Serve with Pinot Noir
    Serves 8 (with leftover gnocchi for your freezer)
    Sweet Potato Gnocchi Ingredients:
    ? 3 lbs. sweet potatoes, rinsed and patted dry
    ? 1 Tbsp. olive oil
    ? 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
    ? 2 eggs
    ? 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, freshly ground
    ? 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
    ? 3/4 C. flour, sifted
    ? 2 gallons water
    ? 1/2 C. kosher salt
    Preparation:
    Place sweet potato puree in medium mixing bowl and add eggs, nutmeg and 1 Tbsp. salt. Fold ingredients together using a rubber spatula. Once combined, add flour to potato mixture and gently stir until all flour is incorporated into the gnocchi batter. Place batter in a large pastry bag and refrigerate.
    Place a large saucepot over high heat and add water. Season with kosher salt and bring water to a boil. Using kitchen shears, remove tip from pastry bag until open diameter is about the size of a dime. Directly above the surface of the boiling water, gently squeeze small amount of batter from the bag and snip off with scissors once gnocchi is 1 to 1F?? -inches long. The dumpling will safely drop into the water. Repeat quickly to make ten gnocchi. Once the gnocchi float, allow to cook for 1 minute and remove with a slotted spoon. Repeat until all batter is prepared in gnocchi form. Transfer to a pan lightly coated with vegetable spray. Gnocchi can be frozen for future use at this point.
    Mushroom Swiss Chard Ingredients:
    ? 1 bunch Swiss chard
    ? Kosher salt
    ? 2 Tbsp. butter
    ? 4 dozen gnocchi
    ? 10 medium sage leaves, torn
    ? 6 oz. duck confit
    ? 1 small shallot, minced
    ? 4 oz. brown clamshell mushrooms
    ? 1 Tbsp. water
    ? 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
    ? 1/8 C. toasted pecans, crushed
    ? 4 Tbsp. Carmody cheese, grated
    Preparation:
    Remove leaves from stem of chard and rip into 1-inch pieces. In a large sauce pot, add water and bring to a rolling boil. Heavily salt the water. Drop chard into the water until lightly wilted, approximately 30 seconds. Remove from boiling water and immediately place chard into ice water. Drain chard and squeeze out any additional liquid.
    In a small non-stick saute pan, brown 1 Tbsp. butter. Add gnocchi and sage and gently brown gnocchi on both sides over medium heat. Add the duck confit and cook until the gnocchi become golden brown and crisp. Remove from heat and reserve.
    In a separate 12-inch non-stick saute pan, brown 1 Tbsp. of butter on medium-high20heat. Add shallots and mushrooms and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add chard and cook for 1 minute. Add the water and maple syrup and cook until nicely glazed. Season the mixture with salt and toss with pecans.
    To serve: Place the Mushroom Swiss Chard in a bowl and garnish with Gnocchi and Duck Confit. Top with grated Carmody cheese.

Here's what I did differently:

First, I used store bought Potato Gnocchi, not Sweet Potato (couldn't find it and didn't really look).
    I also added a little dried Thyme when I was sauteing the sage. When the Gnocchi was done sauteing (watch out through the entire process because the Gnocchi really wants to stick!), I added about 2Tb of Trader Joe's Butternut Squash soup, right out of the box.

Instead of clamshell mushrooms, I used Crimini. I pan wilted the Chard in the Mushroom/Shallot butter instead of boiling it in water. The store only had Organic Chard, so I don't know if the hot water bath would be necessary for non-Organic, but I suspect not. And instead of Carmody cheese (what's that anyway?), I used Fontina that my cheese store recommended as a substitute based on the online description.

Served it with an american Sangiovese and it was Awesome! Best of all was that it's made of parts we 'normally' toss. Just look for a recipe for Duck Confit on the internet and use it to make the Confit . My plan is to take all the legs and thighs I can get this year and just toss them in a freezer bag to make Confit once.