Switching Gears

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Ike, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Ike

Ike Elite Refuge Member

Hey Guys. All my old duck dogs have passed on......dont like hunting without a dog.
    Just got me a Llewellin Setter pup, so going to start upland again after many, many years of ducks only.
    Lots of training for the next couple years I guess. Will start checking this room more often. C ya

2. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

.... / ..

Two years? Not if you've got a Llewellin Setter from a decent line of meat dogs.

But it takes live birds to make a real solid bird dog, so spend your money on training at places like Big Oaks (http://www.bigoaksbrittanys.com/) down at Grenada, Miss. where they offer put out birds for you, and allow you to work your dog.

You'll be able to determine rather quickly whether your canine is worth feeding. And you may also learn something within that process!

3. Ike

Ike Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the link CanrdNoir. Looks like a great place an close to me too.
    This is my first pointer. Trained two English Springer Spaniels over the past 15 years so I know birds make the dog.
    This lil pup has the royal bloodlines, but for now just letting him be a puppy. I have formal training lined up starting in Sept. I will work with him until then. Thanks

4. One_Duck_Limit

One_Duck_Limit Senior Refuge Member

Ike,

The gun dog forum has a ton of good info on dog training. You didn't say how much you plan on doing yourself or what training program you're going to follow. If your looking for training material I recommend 'Perfect Start' and 'Perfect Finish' by John and Cindy Hann. I'm a do it yourself kind of guy and have been training my Wirehair Pointer following their program.

5. Ike

Ike Elite Refuge Member

Yes just joined the gun dog forum. Not the room on here but the other web site. Lots of good info. Basic stuff myself this spring. Have him enrolled with a pro starting late summer and into fall. Thanks

6. cancan

cancan Elite Refuge Member

Take your time, forget all the control work, light light light on pressure, build independence. Pointing dogs ad you may well know need nurtured not forced, especially setters.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

7. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

My first bird dog was a Llewellin Setter. Trained her from a pup.
    Great dog but briars and nettles were a huge pain with her tail and legs.
    She was killer on pheasants, soft mouthed and a great family dog. She lived to be 12yrs.
    Not many pheasants around here any more either.....

8. Ike

Ike Elite Refuge Member

Yeah I can already see that soft touch working. Pup is coming along fine. Buying some quail for him from time to time. Hes going to be a good dog. Now if I can just get him to quit eating those horse apples :sp

9. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Glad to hear you're sticking with the Bird Dogs.
    I think I've had every kind of Bird dog down through the years but in the very end I decided on Brits.
    My last one ("Sonny Boy") was soooo easy to train he left me wondering why I
    never tried that Breed before. I often said that I really thought he would set down in the field and read the newspaper to you if you wanted him to!

IF you can find any WILD Quail to hunt I'd bet you'll be pleased (again) at how easy the Brits and LLewies are to train. The only big problem with the long haired breeds was the damned burrs and I don't know of any way to avoid them.

Best wishes to you and wish I was still young enough to take on a 'session" with a good dog or two.

10. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

I see the Elhew bloodline mentioned many times which is somewhat common when we talk about Mr. Wehles fine pointers.
    I had the pleasure of working with a few of Mr. Herb Holmes Pointers here near Springfield, Ill.(Gunsmoke Kennels) before he moved South. That was many years ago and I still miss seeing those beautiful dogs slam into a castiron point when they made a Covey.:tu