swivel for turkey decoy

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Looking for a little motion from my turkey decoy...is there a swivel type stake available or any type of bearing that can be used?

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

3. Glades Ranger

Ok, thanks, but I don't want to fiddle with a jerk string...I have some older decoys, Flambeau and Delta, that wobble with some wind, and my DSD upright hen does not quite move- would love something that swivels level with some breeze.

4. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

I had a cheap wally world decoy that perched on a plastic pointed stake that would really twirl with a gust of wind!! Really didn't care for that when it did that, but sure cleared out a bunch of wild hogs in Texas, when a lil' piglet was head to head with the decoy and it squealed when a gust twirlled it in it's face:l Boy did they scatter and did I laugh :bow

5. Glades Ranger

That is funny! I've had eagles come down and peck on them, young deer bowl one over, and last year a coyote came right up to one! I tried the battery cap insert on the top hole to balance on the stake but it wobbled too much, thus I would like something that turns level but not excessively so. I just noticed BPS was marketing a jake motion stake ($49.99) with a remote, but they are unavailable...not sure I want to go electric for turkey hunting, though I've hit a long streak of no bird the last few springs and am getting desperate (but will not sell my soul), a 50# bag of corn is mighty tempting right now!:D

6. stevena198301

My Avian-X decoy stakes have kind of a bowl shape on top. If set up perfectly flat, they will spin slowly with a breeze. I assume you are hunting Osceloa? Maybe calling too much? Are you seeing birds? No bird for several seasons... Man, you're doing something wrong, and it ain't that your decoy ain't spinning. I hear they are tough to hunt, but I'd go crazy if I didn't get a bird for SEVERAL seasons.

7. Glades Ranger

I will qualify my dry spell by stating that I can only hunt public WMA's that are heavily hunted- including many out of state hunters- and prior to this I bagged an Osceola five years in a row. The last two seasons I have had toms lock up at 60 yards. I did my scouting and was setup correctly. In a season that runs for about a month, I get out there plenty and walk more than the regular hunter. I also learned long ago that too much calling is anathema for the Osceolas, I call sparingly for sure. I have to take my wife, the last successful season she was there next to me.

8. stevena198301

I got ya... Best of luck this season. You ever tried the two gunners trick of splitting up 30 yards apart, and having the back guy call, and the front guy ambush? May be the fix for an old sly tom that hangs up. I too hunt public and know how tough it can be.

9. Glades Ranger

Did that a bit when I was a rookie. The best method for me is ambushing, "run'n'gun" did not work for me. Prescribed burns are good magnets for birds, wet years have been better than dry years, but it is a fact that the first two weeks is prime time! It is a most challenging sport, hence the fixation and stress, but I can stay put longer now and bringing my wife and daughter to camp is special.

stevena198301 likes this.
  10. stevena198301

There's a place/time for different variations. As you said, running and gunning tends to not work out, especially on WMA birds. I've got to where I don't even carry decoys on most public lands. Too many idiots. I had a guy walk up on me last year right at fly-down time, and I was on a hot gobbler that I had been patterning for a week. He ran up past me, then saw me while looking for a tree to get up against. I told him to sit down beside me, but he refused. 5 minutes later he run the bird off, still fumbling around. :doh