SX3 choke

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Red foot, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

Ok, so all you SX3 lovers, what choke do you use? I'm looking for something for decoying mallards, and for those that take a look, but don't commit...not interested in 60 yd shots, but often 20 to 40...

2. sisqsprig

sisqsprig Senior Refuge Member

I don't use anything but the factory modified. Only time I think I wanted something different was shooting a small hole in the ice a couple weeks ago. All the birds were well under 20yds and I was missing some really close shots. Was wishing I had an IC in the blind bag.

3. bojingles

bojingles Elite Refuge Member

No problems here with my factory modified. I've missed some extremely close teal this season but pretty lethal 15 yards to 40 it seems--I know others who have the same gun who have had patterning problems and put on patternmasters and love them (classic mid range I believe)--I have read previously that not all gun barrels are bored 100% identical so what may be good for one may not be for another?

I should also add for what its worth I've had very good results with 3" #3 Estates and 2 3/4" # 4 Hevi Metals with just the factory modified choke. Was actually shocked at the deadliness of the Hevi Metal in that size--i'll be buying a case of that next year.

4. Brushbeater

Brushbeater Senior Refuge Member

Modified as well for my sx3

5. TonyM

TonyM Refuge Member

Used the factory mod and IC with good results. For the last several years been using an extended Trulock skeet 2 choke exclusively (its between IC and mod). So happy with it I bought the same choke for wife and kids guns too. In all honesty, I havent even patterned it. It just flat works.

6. bxcall1

bxcall1 Senior Refuge Member

Modified with Winchester expert 3" fours.

7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

With your Invector Plus barrel the LM (.015 ) constriction has shown its ability to pattern Best for over decoys and birds that hang at 35/40 yds .
    The good part is , that's with shot sizes from 3's to BB's out of my Gold and Silver !

8. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

I’d second the LM...maybe in a Briley extended tube...easier to take out for cleaning...

9. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

Drylok #4 out of a Browning LM extended choke has me hitting and killing more ducks than ever before with my SX3.

Dandy

10. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

Thanks,

I shot some card board this morning with the mod choke and it didn't seem all that uniform at 30 yards.

But got a rooster this morning with the first shot at game...