synthetic oil

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by victorlvlb, May 24, 2013.

1. victorlvlb

victorlvlb Elite Refuge Member

Since the new fords use synthetic oil and they want you to change the oil every five thousand miles. what if you don't drive the truck 3,000 miles every three months? Is there a time limit?

2. Bender

Bender Elite Refuge Member

Not exactly. Main thing with a new Truck is to watch what they expect you to do so your warranty isn't compromised. If they require you to do it every 3 Months, or 5k you should. Not because I think you'd need to, but because the Dealers are tough to deal with sometimes, and they'll love to have a reason to make you pay.

If it was me I would run the Syn-Blend, or whatever Synthetic is least expensive until your Warranty expires. If money isn't a concern I think AMSOil is the best Synthetic. Twice as much as conventional oil, but you get a longer service interval. With a new Truck, and being careful not to void your Warranty you may want to just stick to the schedule, and oil they require. Full Synthetic Mobil1, or AMS will supersede any requirement from the Manufacturer, but again it would be wise to confirm that since Dealers, and Service Depts. can be a headache at times.

I've run AMSOil in my 2002 F-350. 365,000 going strong. That's my choice for Synthetic no question.

3. WABBIT-SLAYER

WABBIT-SLAYER Senior Refuge Member

Where are you getting 5,000 mile oil change interval from? What does the maintenance manual that came with your truck say? I have a 2009 F-150 with the 5.4 V-8 and my maintenance manual says every 7,500 miles and that is what I have been doing. I also have a 2012 Mustang GT with the 5.0 V-8 and the maintenance manual says the same thing, every 7,500 miles. I just had the oil changed in the truck the other day and the sticker they put in the upper left hand corner of the windshield shows the next change to be at 35,000 miles. Same thing on the Mustang. I bought it new in April of last year and the sticker in the upper left corner of the windshield says chage at 5,000 miles. So who is right, the dealer or the manufacturer? I go by what the manufacturer says. By the way, when I had the oil changed in the truck the other day, the service writer said "You are at 30,000 miles and they reccomend you change the trans. fluid". I should have checked the maintenance manual first but didn't and told him O.K. go ahead and do it. Guess what? When I got home and checked the maintenance manual it says change trans. fluid at 60,000 miles. The dealerships will get you if you don't do your homework!

4. victorlvlb

victorlvlb Elite Refuge Member

So if it takes me 13 months to put 7,500 miles on my truck , its okay with the dealer ?

5. WABBIT-SLAYER

WABBIT-SLAYER Senior Refuge Member

If you follow the intervals specified in the owner's/maintenance manual that came with your vehicle from the factory, the dealer can't dispute it. These intervals are set by the manufacturer/factory that made your vehicle. You have to remember that the dealer is going to try to sell you everything he can. He is there to make money like every other business.

6. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor

Here is the real deal with synthetic oils, my father owned a full service station with 3 bay garage and 3 wreckers for 35 years and I have seen it all from bearing spinners to a new ford van that was driven its entire life never having the oil changed or filter changed and oil just added. The Ford van last 200k and was driven like it was stolen.

With that said, you should always run standard oil in your vehicle to allow break in. After the break in period, run Quaker State full synthetic, no blends (that stuff is crap). Here is why, why would you blend a man made non carbon based product with a natural carbon based products that burns up and goes bad? It makes no sense. Full synthetic will last 10 times longer than conventional motor oil as it doesn't break down, because it is man made from non carbon based materials. It is so slippery it will not allow rings to seat and engines to break in properly.

Why Quaker State you ask? Mobil one was bought out by Quaker State a few years ago and the best parts of Mobile one were taken and added to the best parts of Quaker State and now Quaker State is now the superior of the two.

I run Synthetic and have for over 20 years. The things that I have noticed with every new Chevy 4 x 4 that I have owned 6-7, every one of them after break in and running synthetic I notice better fuel mileage by at least 2-3 mpg and a temp drop in the engine by 8 to 10 degrees. Both great things meaning less friction and a far superior product. I normally go 25K before I get it changed. You can look at the dip stock and see when it starts to change color and that is when it needs to be changed. I have went as far as changing it 2 times a year when I drove 80 miles per day to and from work all highway. I traded that truck in with 149k on it for a new one and they gave me great money for it. I did a compression test and it was still in factory specs and withing 10% of each other average.

Changing motor oil, even conventional motor oil every 3k is a farce and unneeded to say the least that is old time 50's spec when oil wasn't nearly the quality that it is now. It is just another way to sell more petroleum product. I mean really think about this stuff, if it isn't dirty, doesn't smell burned, it is still okay. :tu

7. tennduckdog

tennduckdog Elite Refuge Member

Not really, at least not something I'd worry about over 3 months. I change my oil once a year now that I've switched to Amsoil. They claim you can go 12 months/25000 miles on their oil and filter, change the filter at 1 year and continue using the same oil until oil analysis shows a need for change. The vehicle manufacture cannot deny a warranty claim on the grounds that you did not use the product specified in their manual, nor can they deny a claim due to you not abiding by their suggested service intervals...Unless they can prove that the product used or service interval caused the failure. I like that amsoil actually gives me a written warranty and claims they will cover the costs of any damage done if you adhere to their service interval while using their product in spite of manufacture recommendation. I've swapped all my trucks fluids over except the differentials and I've got the fluid to do so, just not the motivation to get under the truck in this weather we're having!

8. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

True ,but it as simple as resetting the oil change indicator.
    They will never know you waited until you reached the prescribed mileage.
    As long as you reset the oil change indicator every 3 months.
    All they will look at is the engine program to make sure it was reset every 3 months.:yes

9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You had some good stuff to say, but that wasn't one of them.

What do you think man makes the "non carbon based product" from?

I'll tell you what synthetic oil is made from: petroleum. Crude oil. Same stuff conventional oil is made from.
    You can mix the two types of oil without fear, but I agree; what's the point?
    Full synthetic is best, and the cheapest full synthetic is far better than it needs to be. WalMart's Super Tech synthetic is the best bang for the buck in existence; cheaper and better oil than the blends from Quaker State, etc..