Syrian War. Weak policy from US opening door for Russia/Iran.

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by widgeon, Oct 1, 2015.

1. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I usually don't pay close attention to international news because most of it is smoke and mirrors, but the situation in Syria is spinning sideways IMO.

From what I read, the US has been fiddle farting around trying to support both King Assad and his opposition, the Free Syrian Army. That's a policy doomed to fail.

Now Putin has jumped into the fray by clearly coming to the aid of Assad and even targeting some US trained FSA troops, and Iran and is sending in ground troops. This sounds like a way too familiar scenario.

Should the US continue to keep a foot in each canoe, join in the terrorism fight with Putin, continue supporting the FSA, or just act like they have no idea what's going on as they've been doing?

Putin has support from the Russian parliament and even the Russian Orthodox Church. Personally, I think Obama just gave Russia a step up in global politics by his failure to act decisively on terrorism.

It's sad to see our government making claims that Russia will fail in Syria, after we already have.

2. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Sure seems like Obama's approach to positioning the US internationally has been consistent from the beginning. Obama is just doing what Valerie wants while enjoying enablement gifted by the low information voter who's happy to just feel good.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I'm thinking its a very good time for the U.S. to embrace the fact that if things don't change, we will be burying lots of sons and daughters in the near future. Feel free to call me an isolationist, but I say we pull out and let the ME start taking care of itself. We don't need their oil at the cost of our blood. Give Israel all the support they need to defend themselves, and let them sort it out. If we devoted half the time and effort to finding new energy sources, and improving current ones, that we did to trying to keep the peace in the ME, we'd still come out better. Russia is the one issue. But if Putin thinks he has the cajones to bring the fight here, he needs to ask Japan how that could end. If you feel the need to criticize, please post up a better solution.

4. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Funny how Obama has suddenly took an interest in battling ISIS with boots on the ground. At least we're trying to keep up with Putin!

API likes this.
  5. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Whether Valerie or Vladimir, Obama's style is to follow. Would be interesting to find examples where Barrack actually took individual initiative and followed through to completion.