Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Tail loops

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by King Buck Hunts, Apr 5, 2017.

1. King Buck Hunts

King Buck Hunts New Member

I had a bunch of new decoys to setup when I got to SD for my week long bender. I knew I needed tail loops so we could deploy and recover the 320+ fb and shells quicker. I had some shells already done with 550 cord then used some decoy line on shells and some fb's. The VERY BEST for fb was the thin bungie cord zip tied and tapped Scott Butz sold me. It was a pleasure to pick them up!

What I want to figure out is how do you cut and burn the ends at the same time? There must be some kind of tool that does this. Hopefully, an inexpensive one (spent $35 on beveled drill bit). Can someone help me out?

WARNING: my buddy and I did 100 total and could not move our hands the next morning from synching down those little zip ties! It absolutely crippled both of us!!!

2. Hau9358

Hau9358 New Member

Can't say we have used zip ties...just put the bunggie through and over hand knot it. Use the thin diameter stuff as it ties better. For the ends, get ya a fire going, have a beer, grab some flat 1/4 iron sticks, place the ends in the fire, have a beer, cut the cords to length, have a beer, remove the iron ends when red hot, place cord ends on iron, have a beer, tie cords after placing on decoy, have a beer and repeat....

3. King Buck Hunts

Thanks hau. The reelwings method has you drill beveled hole in bottom, thread cord thru that hole and out hole in tip of tail, zip the end of cords, wrap with electrical tape, and then stuff the knot inside with a screw driver thru the beveled hole. Seems like fun till the next morning...

If you don't have that much beer, I figured out the the "V" shaped chisel bit on a wood burning set will do the job perfectly. I was poised to spend $20 on a hot knife and another $20 for 50' of 1/4" shock cord(bungee). Found 50' on Amazon for $14.95 free s&h!

How long you making your cords. I think reelwings does there's around 10".

BTW: your way sounds like more fun.

4. hyper23

hyper23 Senior Refuge Member

Not sure if burning will be necessary. Get yourself some hog rigs instead of the zip ties

5. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Like hyper 23 said use hog rings. They come in all sizes. Can also use wire crimps used for making wire cages.

6. backwater1

backwater1 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Hot knife is the best method to cut and singe bungee at the same time. Lord knows we have done it 1,000s of times over. You can get the hot knives lots of places.

James

7. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Y'all got picts of the finished product?

8. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Yes......pics would be nice.

9. King Buck Hunts

IMG_20170321_222851601.jpg sorry, they are 1500 miles away. This was only shot I took. 1/4" is too thick and 1/8" bungee is too thin. I'm hoping 3/16" will be just right... Really nice to pick these up with tail loops!

10. King Buck Hunts

Start hole on bottom of decoy about 2" from tip using a "stepped" drill bit then aim towards the existing hole in tip. Put the bubbie thru the tip and out beveled hole. I used a small drill bit to maneuver the bungee thru the hole.