Take the Nikon - Canon Challenge,,,(if you dare)

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Dizzy Duck, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

OK Fellas and Fellet's

There's been a lot of debate lately as to who makes the better camera and glass and the Nikonista's have all but been having a "Hissy Fit" making comments on newbie post's for purchasing information. (Yall know who yall are!) :yes Some Canon folks are just a guilty,,,well almost!:nutz

So now it's time to "Pony Up" or as the Preacher at the wedding says, "Forever Hush Up"......:yes (in a matter of speaking or pooping lightnig bolts as the Nikonista's do)

Your words and suggestions are one thing, but LETS SEE IMAGES and we can judge which one is better. I'm talking average everyday shots, not BIF which Nikon really falls short on and that's a fact but just average stuff you feel will best represent your camera and glass.

I'm/We're looking for sharpness, lack of CA and distortion, IQ and clarity, color, saturation and lack of vignetting.

SO, POST'em up you Heathens! Put the evidence on the table!

Make sure you make note as to the camera body, the lens, and the pertinent EXIF (ISO, Shooting MODE) if you omit it in your images! This will be for a fair comparison to allow your competition to post a reference in focal length and type of glass. body etc.

Ill try to get Erik to sticky this or old Dizzy will just keep it going !

So dot your I's and cross your T's and make your camera and glass look good to the competition. I think this will more than settle some of the disputes.

NOTE: All images will be open for critique and comments and none of this simple "nice pic" stuff by the squatters in here!

Dizzy

2. huntersdad

huntersdad Elite Refuge Member

Guess I need to buy a piece of Canon glass to participate unless you can use third party glass on a Canon body for the pics. Might consider including a third party element here, Dizz, since it gets asked about often.

3. Dizzy Duck

That's fine, Even more to "fuel the fire". This is not limited to only Canon and Nikon.

Just make sure you make note of what you use as far as body and lens and include the rest from the original post.

Dizzy

4. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

Canon 40d, 300mm f/4 IS, B+W MRC UV filter, hand held.

AV mode, f/5.6, 200 ISO, 1/2000, AWB, shot RAW, converted to 8 bit .TIFF in DPP, converted to .JPG in PS CS2.

[​IMG]

Since others are adding multiple thought I would too.

Canon 40d, 16-35mm f/2.8 II, B+W MRC UV filter, hand held.

AV mode, f4.0, 100 ISO, 1/100, 35mm, AWB.

[​IMG]

One last one showing a bit more DOF than the other 2.

Canon 40d, 300mm f/4, B+W MRC UV, tripod

Manual, f/8, 200 ISO, 15/1, AWB.

[​IMG]

5. duke7581

duke7581 Senior Refuge Member

cant wait to see the pics and see if a beginner can tell the diff. in people using the higher apt. kit lens compared to the better glass like the 2.8 etc.

6. Zach Byron

Zach Byron Senior Refuge Member

Well since you said you didn't want birds in flight, I chose my most basic sitting bird shot. I will say, the nice green in the head was heavily changed upon uploading to photobucket, but that's life.

Link to original to show color loss: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zbyron/5502937247/lightbox/
    Shot with Canon 40D + Canon 400 5.6L
    ISO 640, f5.6, 1/320th, Aperture Priority, +2/3 EV, shot in RAW, handheld
    [​IMG]

And one with a different lens

Shot with Canon 40D + Canon 70-200 f/4L Non IS
    ISO 100, 188mm, f/4, 1/1000th, Aperture Priority, Shot in RAW, handheld
    [​IMG]

7. colinz

colinz Senior Refuge Member

This is one out of my 30D with the tamron 17-50. pretty much straight out of the camera with the necessary raw conversion and a slight export sharpening
    1/125 @ f5 17 mm

[​IMG]

dont tell me it's not awesome or i will fight you:yes:yes

8. Dizzy Duck

It is awesome! I might open the 3/4 tones (shadows) a tiny bit for a little more definition, but I really like this capture. As a Photojournalist first and by heart, This image makes a sweet statement! That little Tamron did a fine job here as it was designed for just this type of image. I had a friend at Nat Geo that swore by those lenses and he had created some wonderful images with Kodachrome.

DIzzy

9. Dizzy Duck

10. Zach Byron

Zach Byron Senior Refuge Member

Diz, are dog and bird photos acceptable here, or are you really looking for shots from "normal" daily life? Also, are you looking for edited photos, or really basic from the camera shots? I'm just trying to really get what you're looking for here.