Take the Nikon - Canon Challenge,,,(if you dare)

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Dizzy Duck, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

All are fine! We are just trying to compare IQ on lenses from different manufacturers.

I see the Nikon guys are "Cluck Cluck"...I'm waiting for them!

2. Mr. Taxidermist

Mr. Taxidermist Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

[​IMG]

Shot RAW
    Nikon D3100
    Nikkor 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 (aka the "kit lens")
    Shot at 55mm
    ISO 1600
    f/5.6
    1/125 sec

3. Mr. Taxidermist

Mr. Taxidermist Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

[​IMG]

One of my lovely Mrs.

Shot Raw
    Nikon D3100
    Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6
    Shot at 150mm
    ISO400
    f/4.5
    1/250sec

4. HNTFSH

HNTFSH Senior Refuge Member

:l:l

Fun thread to follow! :tu

5. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

1DMk III, 24-105L, Av f4, 1/160th HAND HELD!!!, no flash, ISO 400

[​IMG]

1DMk III, 500 f4L, Av f8, 1/320th, no flash, ISO 200
    Was shooting Mississippi Kites and was trying to figure out what they were eating...found them.

[​IMG]

6. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

This reminds me of the saying, "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian". :D

I assume you looking for only digital images.

7. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

You know if you open up the film door Diz is going to stomp everyone...unless his scanner is screwed-up! He'll pull out some German or strange Jap 4x5 or larger out and say, "eat my dust"!:dv

8. feetdown1

feetdown1 Senior Refuge Member

I dont get it....are we judging straight from the camera or our Photoshop expertise....

I personally think this "contest" is a waste because of the abilty or lack of, to manipulate in Post Processing....

KEEP IT FAIR.......Most of us dont have degrees in Photoshop or Lightroom or ANYTHING ELSE.........were just guys with cameras looking for that 1 great shot

9. Airdale

Airdale Senior Refuge Member

Exactly. This contest is beat. First of all, there is no limit for the type of equipment. You're going to get photos from people with $7,000 setups to $1700 setups. It doesn't matter the brand...Canon's $4,000 L series lens is going to out perform Nikons $700 lens. You're comparing apples to oranges.

The debate between Canon and Nikon is completely personal preference. I have shot BOTH systems and my experience with Canon was great. Excellent waterfowl shots. I PREFER Nikon because I feel I get more from my camera, I need to do less post processing, the camera feels better and the control layout makes sense. I also think Nikon's cheap lenses are better than Canon's cheap lenses. Again, this is all personal preference.

I can't post images taken with my Nikon D7000 and a kit lens and compare the quality to a Canon top level body paired with a Canon prime. I don't own any Nikon professional glass just yet (I regret selling my Nikon setup years ago). So I can post images all day with the D7000 and 18-105VR and its never going to compare to the expensive L series lens.

Of all people Dizzy you should know how vague this challenge is. If you're going to compare Canon and Nikon, at least set parameters. Professional Nikon and Canon shooters could have at it all day and you'd see nothing but a collage of amazing images from both.

10. Zach Byron

Zach Byron Senior Refuge Member

Its not a contest...its just to show the quality of different lenses and bodies. Sharpening in photoshop helps, but you can tell straight from the camera if the photo is going to be sharp or not, regardless of post processing.