Take the Nikon - Canon Challenge,,,(if you dare)

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Dizzy Duck, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Your making my point for me! The whole idea behind this was to get people to realize that both are excellent products including the less expensive products. You just said a mouthful about experience versus not!

I figured if I jerked your chain I could get a statement like that out of you!
    Your a professional pilot as I used to be as well. So I would believe your a logical individual who thinks as much as you speak!

Well Said!

Thank You!

PS: And I've got news for you! As you progress in this craft, you will be able to make an image from your "KIT" lens look nearly as good as one form a more expensive one!

2. Dizzy Duck

3. brantboy2

brantboy2 Elite Refuge Member

Wow, all this talk of Canon and Nikon, guess I better not post any of my pics with my Sony a900 and zeiss and g series glass:l:l

4. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

Ahhhh common...go ahead...I was getting ready to post a shot from my very first digital...a Fuji S602Z. And now that both camps are buying sensors from....SONY...

A good friend of mine shoots both. He is the president of the CNPA and when out on normal jaunts, he shoots his Nikon gear, but for certain things...BIFs...he pulls out a 7D. He has the $$ for any gear he wants and is a Nikon Pro.

5. Dizzy Duck

Post it! I've seen a ton of professional work come out of that camera over the past year. I'd ceratinly be proud to own one.

6. Susquehanna Gauge

Susquehanna Gauge Elite Refuge Member

i will take the 400 prime all day long for birds in flight...

the 100-400 a great all around lens with the zoom but lacks the sharpness of the prime and is much heavier...

unlike most... i had both at the same time and sold the 100-400 so I was able to compare them side by side.

7. AleutianKing

AleutianKing Elite Refuge Member

Just a quick Note, Fortunately i Get the chance to shoot both cameras all summer along with many other kinds, including Sony and Pentex. I personally own 2 Cannon 7d's with several lenses along with a higher end Sony. We take about 40 serious Photographers each summer to ALaska and 65% shoot Cannon 30% shoot Nikons and %5 misc, all i can say is I love my 7d's for an out of the box great midrange camera with allot of great features, Our clients shoot Cannon 1d mark III and the new IV last summer they are all great cameras but how can the average person spend 3-5k on a body then another 4-6k on a prime lens. As for the Nikons they shoot pretty sweet but are also very spendy. A few pics from me hacking away with my camera, and a few I shot on Clients cameras along with our new Bear Photography Video that we shot some of it on my 7D in 1080 HD. Hope you enjoy. These 6 were all shot with standard kit lenses not primes. The only thing i know for sure is That after asking numerous Pro's with us they all agreed that there Prime 300 2.8 lens was one of the sharpest overall lenses that they shoot. And after putting it on my 7d and shooting for a day they are sweet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2H7sp5HYtg
    One of my favorites on a borrowed camera.

[​IMG]
    Here is the 300 prime f2.8 on a 1d Mark 2 1/640 iso 200
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Dizzy Duck

I would agree totally that both the EF 300 f2.8 and the EF 400 f2.8 are both the exceptional sharp work horses of the Canon Line! I love the 400 f2.8 but it doesn't like my arms and wrists. It's one heavy monster.

Dizzy

9. Eildydar

Eildydar Senior Refuge Member

I will be able to buy one lens for a while so thats why I was thinking the 100-400. I figured it would be versatile and still have good IQ. Especially compared with my 75-300 (the old version lol). Be the 400 prime is definitely an intriguing option :)

10. Airdale

Airdale Senior Refuge Member

What are you trying to say? I'm not a good photographer? LOL!

I know, this is just my hobby and yes, as a professional pilot I do a lot of thinking...which led me to the conclusion that I like Nikon better. As Scott pointed out, Canon has more midrange lens selection. What he didn't mention is that midrange selection is also more affordable. Not necessarily cheap, but affordable. Nikons closest thing to Canons 400/5.6 is the 300/4. Same price, 100mm less reach.

I'll post more later and maybe a pic or two. I have to double deadhead across the country to work 2 flights and wont finish till 11pm central. Great.