Take the Nikon - Canon Challenge,,,(if you dare)

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Dizzy Duck, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

I love my 100-400 and wouldn't sell or trade it for nothing! But, It's way too slow in AF even without the converter for any repetitive BIF for sure! I've got lucky a few times but those were far and few between. But you know I love to shoot the "itty bitty stuff' and chasing a Kinglet around a tree the push pull makes up for any BIF flaws. I would like to see Canon upgrade this lens with a new generation IS. That might speed it up a bit. But then Heaven only knows what this lens would cost! I paid right at 1K for this lens new at Adorama and now it's going for a whole lot more just as it was configured back then.

2. M Shartle

M Shartle Senior Refuge Member

Thats the main reason why I think most people Shoots Canon!

My first DSLR was a Nikon and there no way I'm going switch now to much money into Nikon.

3. M Shartle

M Shartle Senior Refuge Member

Here a few with my kit lens 18-55mm there might be some post work done to this Dizzy will be able to tell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

Go prime!!!! They absolutely cannot be beat for sharpness.

5. HNTFSH

HNTFSH Senior Refuge Member

At 11.8 lbs...they're about $1.23 per gram. :sp

6. cur

cur Senior Refuge Member

My wife shot this yesterday.
    Canon 40D
    100-400 "L" series
    @400mm
    1/500 Shutter Speed
    F13
    ISO 500
    Exposure Comp -1/3

[​IMG]

I did the PP
    new canvas
    Repositioned the bird in canvas
    cropped
    added text and border
    That was it.

7. Dizzy Duck

I'm really interested in seeing images straight from the RAW file with 0 post-processing and sharpening. Especially from the non pro glass. Before you go to the extremes of P/P just convert to a JPEG and save as and post up. Then go back and do your thing!

This would yield a better comparison of different glass and their perfections or imperfections.

Dizzy

I also want a dialogue on either buying a good body and lesser glass or going with the lesser body and the best glass for financial savings.

Remember that most of you are on this forum, see almost perfect images and then wonder why yours don't or can't look this good.

The last thing I want to hear is that people shoot Canon because they cannot afford Nikon. I've read and heard a lot of that lately. This really only holds true to the super-teles (price wise) and yes Nikon is certainly proud of their big glass and I would guess are trying to attract the Elitists. However, The new Canon prices will bring them in-line to those of Nikon. (Thats not a good thing either) Both Canon and Nikon have "top of the line" big glass!

Another statement has been made that Nikon offers overall better ISO performance. This is not true on all bodies and the best overall performer as per many sophisticated reviews buy the pro testers tells the winner of this overall so far as the Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

In fact, the best ISO performers are the full frame bodies of all the manufacturers. The more mega-pixels and resolution you try to squeeze on a 1.6 APC the more problems with noise you will incur.

So lets get serious here and not banter and see what we can do to compare some glass.

Dizzy

8. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

1D MKIII with lesser glass really stinks . It doesn't even like the 100-400L unless the subject is really close. I does good with still subjects but if it is moving...I wish I still had my 40D!!!

9. Dizzy Duck

That's interesting! Could it be that perhaps you are still learning the camera and don't quite have the "Comfort zone" yet. You realize that as a pro body there are fine adjustments to be made that the 40D does not require. I do realize that most kit lenses will not perform as to their precision brethren , but I managed some pretty decent images with both the "Nifty Fifty" and the
    85 f1.8 of equine performances in less than great light.

The 100-400 can be a whole different animal! The biggest problem with this lens (And I own one and LOVE IT) is the older generation IS that is slower than the new. The IS takes longer than the AF in a lot of situations and can and will hamper overall sharpness of an image. This is a perfect example of why it is not nor was not to be a fast BIF type lens. But we do get lucky on occasion.

Dizzy

10. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

My problem is that it is a MkIII in the bad serial #s. It was sent in as soon as I got it but I can't tell they did anything to it. I've read through everything available and bought every other book available out there. It shoots Mad Duck's 500L fine but has no reach with the 100-400. I shot it on several dog hunts this season and just could not get it to focus. It will focus on something still but even dogs barely moving it will miss the focus on. I have tons of shots from it with the focus point dead on a dog's eye and nothing is in focus...not front focus...not back focus. The only thing I can tell is if there is any object in front of the subject not even close to the focus point...a stick or another dog...nothing will be in focus.
    I'm sending it back to Canon next week...I have 3 more months on the original warranty...and if it doesn't get fixed then...it will find its way to Craig's List.