Taking a young child hunting

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by Squaller, Apr 16, 2010.

1. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Marc

Congrats on the lil one on the way! I can't give you any advice but if you need someone to call in her first turkey, call me!

Doug

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Doug,

Thank you very much, but I am afraid that privilege will be all mine! That is if I can find any turkeys to hunt.:nutz

3. Gibbs

Gibbs Elite Refuge Member

I started out in the deer woods at age 7 by myself but I was terrified of my 6'-4" father. He would put me on a stand and then walk off 100 yards from me. If he said jump, my answer was: How high? That was 39 years ago.

The world we are in now is different and we are not as agrarian in nature as we were at one time. I suggest you gradually introduce your daughter to the sport as you would a new Lab puppy. Start out with her helping you around the house paint decoys and train the pup. I would not bring her out in the woods to hunt until around age 7 to hunt but start out around age 5 making brief incursions. From age 7 to age 11, make the hunts short and focus everything on her.

When starts to get the fever, hunt with her in shifts. You case your gun for an hour and just watch her. Then she cases hers and she watches you for an hour. Never hunt with her until she is at least 13 or 14. Too much can happen in the duck woods. You need to be focused on her at all times when in the woods---especially when she has a loaded shotgun in hand. Even then you cannot be too careful.

Congratulations and get ready for some wonderful times. Do not push hunting on her just include her in all aspects no matter how simple they seem to you including just feeding the lab or cleaning the shotgun.