Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Taking my 12 year old son to Saskatchewan

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Blu Mafia, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Blu Mafia

Blu Mafia New Member

Any help or links would be greatly appreciated guys.
    I have hunted Quebec, Ontario, and Saskatchewan. We are from Indiana and he just turned 12, he has his Hunters Education card in Indiana but is recognized nationwide (in the US) is there any other paperwork that needs filled out other than his GRC 5589e?
    I noticed that in SK it says in the Hunting Regs that 12-15 year olds may hunt w an adult, is there any paperwork that I need to make this happen.
    He's watched me go up north for the last 10 yrs, and was wanting to take him on his his first Canada trip.
    I bought his Migratory Game bird permit a couple days ago online w no problem.
    Thanks in advance guys.

2. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Children under the age of 18, while hunting, if they have not passed the Canadian firearms course (not the same as hunter's safety) must hunt under the direct supervision of an adult, which usually means within arms length. " Without a minor's licence, the minor may still use firearms of any class, providing they are under the direct and immediate supervision of someone who is licensed to possess that class of firearm. This generally means that the licensed person must be close enough to them to take immediate action to prevent any unsafe or illegal use of the firearm."

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/minor-mineur-eng.htm

I always let my kids hunt within a few yards of me until they passed their PAL license.

4. 3labman

3labman Senior Refuge Member

My hunting buddies and I went to Manitoba a few years ago and one of them brought his 15 year old daughter who hunts with us on a regular basis and when we were crossing the border into Canada the customs agent asked him if he had a letter from his wife saying it was ok for her to go. He didn't we hadn't even heard of such a thing and he offered to call her and let the agent talk to her. The agent said no that would not be necessary and he let us go on but it sure did cause our heart rate to go up for awhile. It was the first and only time I have heard of that and it wasn't listed in any of the research he had done about bringing a minor into Canada to hunt. Your son is going to have a great time!

5. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

When my step son graduated from college, with his masters, I took him to SK. I told his younger brother I would do the same. I know he wants to go as soon as possible, however, I feel his education is more important. This also gives him an incentive to get that education as soon as possible. Not trying to preach, or put myself above, because, I think the trip will also be an education.

6. whiskyjack

whiskyjack Refuge Member

In addition to everything else mentioned above, make sure he brings his Hunter Education card as he will need to provide it to purchase his hunting license(s) in Canada.
    Hunter Ed training is recognized North America wide regardless of Province or State it was taken in.
    I took mine in North Dakota when I lived there in the 70's. Has never been an issue.

7. Blu Mafia

Blu Mafia New Member

8. Blu Mafia

Blu Mafia New Member

Thanks for all the help guys.
    I am ordering licenses online. Ordered stamps already. Gonna be up there on October 14th for 8 days.
    Thanks again for everything. If there is something else please comment. Wanna make sure all bases are covered.

9. STUBBLE BUM

STUBBLE BUM Senior Refuge Member

Enjoy your trip - I took my son west when he was 13 and we had such a great time

Here's some information for you and the links

http://www.huntercourse.com/canada/saskatchewan/regulations.aspx

Hunter Education Requirements
    Anyone born after January 1, 1971, must graduate from a Firearm/Hunter Education course in order to hold or apply for a Saskatchewan game or fur licence. These individuals should be prepared to present proof of training when purchasing or applying for a licence.

Minimum Age Requirements
    Students must be a minimum of 12 years of age to legally purchase a hunting licence. Youth 12 to 15 years of age must have a parent or guardian complete the consent portion of the Saskatchewan Wildlife Habitat Certificate. While hunting, the youth must be under the direct supervision of an adult who is at least 18 years of age.

Important Note
    For a more complete listing of Saskatchewan's hunting license laws, hunting regulations, or hunter education requirements, please consult the Saskatchewan Hunters' & Trappers' Guide, available directly from the Department of Environment website at www.environment.gov.sk.ca

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Have a letter from your spouse indicating that she knows the child will be coming into Canada and has her permission to do so. Whenever my wife or I took our kids to the USA by ourselves, we were always asked at the border to produce the permission letter, so it will prevent a possible hangup at the border. I assume you also have a passport for your son as well.