Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Tamie Lovers take note......

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by oltcutdown, Apr 27, 2004.

1. oltcutdown

oltcutdown Elite Refuge Member

Can anyone confirm or deny this about Frost Mallards?

This was sent to me by a friend in the Carolinas.

Could this be the beginning of the end??? Fire away fellas! Anyone heard anything about this?

Picked up from the refuge

Well it has happened.
    I knew this was coming

Mallards from at least 2 of the 3 facilities comprising the Frost
    Waterfowl Trust in South Carolina have tested positive for H2, H5, and H7 subtypes of avian influenza. These were serological positives with additional PCR and virus isolation tests under way. The NCDA is most concerned about the H5 and H7 subtypes relative to the commercial poultry industry in NC.

As you know, the Frost Hatchery is the source for mallards proposed for importation by the North Carolina Waterfowl Association. Under current agency policy, importations from the Frost Hatchery flock will not be allowed by anyone until this disease issue is resolved. Therefore, until further notice, do not issue any importation permits for waterfowl from the Frost Hatchery.

2. oltcutdown

JAB III

3. oltcutdown

Edisto

4. oltcutdown

5. markethunter

markethunter Elite Refuge Member

I'm against them causing any Bioligical problems like Avian Flu

But come on? Is releasing tamies really that big a deal if they are healthy?

Why don't someone in state grow them? Every one that I've ever killed died just like any other duck. When down in a clump and splashed in the park fountain, errrr I mean lake, like someone threw a rock in. Dog went and got it just like any other duck. Didn't seem to act any different to me before I put the 10 ga to him. Came right to those bread crumbs like a rat to cheese.

They had better not bring any diseased birds to this state, but if they are healthy I wish they'd bring'em by the thousands.

Give me something to kill besides Gadwalls and Ringnecks.

Seriously I've never known I killed one till I went and picked it up. And then I wasn't like "awe dammitboy, I killed a tame duck." I was glad I got to kill a Mallard.;)

6. oltcutdown

Ugh, potentially yes, a really big deal. Would you be ok with your local wood ducks, Gville gads and coots ending up as milfoil fertilizer, not to mention what few quail we have left and turkey. I would.....

I think your just joking with your response, I hope anyway.

That's kinda the point, why not quit releasing the damn things, and most of the ducks you kill would be true wild, migratory birds. The potential to infect resident and migratory birds near the breeding facilities and release points is way too big a risk to take just to have a few pen raised mallards to shoot during hunting season.

64 views and only one response? Wheres the Jerry's Kids crew? Care to comment?............fishin's been tought lately....:dv

7. mrgadwall

mrgadwall Elite Refuge Member

Even if AWA never released another bird, I suspect that "most" of the mallards we kill are not both "wild" and "migratory."

Unless of course, you count "wild" as waiting for you to drop the bread on the ground before eating it (as opposed to taking it direclty from your hand) and "migratory" as going from Scottsboro to Brown's Creek.

8. oltcutdown

:l I hear ya.......

They usually only last until after opening weekend, then they get 'wild' or dead. :yes

Don't know where you hunt, but up here we see a few migratory mallards around Christmas. I consider migratory ND, SD, Ontario, Saskatchewan, etc. Not West End Cheveron, or Rosemary Lake...

Freudian slip there Mr.grey duck?

9. markethunter

markethunter Elite Refuge Member

As usual I didn't clarify. I edited it like it should read. I wouldn't want a single unhealthy bird released into the wild. I'm not an idiot.

As far as stopping releasing them. Who gives a dang about killing a migratory bird vs. a released bird. Like I described in my previous post. There ain't no difference.

:rolleyes:

Relleasing birds is little or no risk to wild birds of disease as long as no diseased birds are released. Right? And yes they can be checked. And no there is no more risk than a Starling building a nest outside a chicken house and getting infected and spreading something.

The armageddon theory starts to get ridiculous at some point.

If they would just put another couple hundred thousand out there then I wouldn't have to go to Arkansas.:dv

And if they don't then I'll have to pack by bags and go where the birds are.

Migratory = From the Pen to the end of my 10ga.:yes

10. mrgadwall

mrgadwall Elite Refuge Member

Nope, just poor wording (as is typical for me).

As for where I hunt, I hunt Lake Guntersville, occasionally Wheeler, rarely at SCWMA, occasionally at an undisclosed public location in NW Alabama, and a couple of top secret private ponds. On the public water, we usually target divers (my preference) and/or gads . . . no Frosties amoung either group.

The only mallards I typically kill are on the private ponds. Let me assure you, these are NOT migrants, these are super fat, extra dumb, white bread fed, boat dock ducks . . . but they make for a pretty picture.