Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Tamie Lovers take note......

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by oltcutdown, Apr 27, 2004.

1. markethunter

markethunter Elite Refuge Member

Post this garbage over on your own state's forum.

We have ended this discussion and moved away from it as it was going nowhere.

All these are, are subjects around the fringe of this debate. None address the real issues, and none discuss how it could be corrected, and none discuss the possibilities of successfully introducing captive reared birds into the wild.

They are pure propoganda for something which none of us have any control to stop.

Yes, the current system is not perfect. What else do you want?

I will personally make it my mission to seek out and kill all Frost Mallards that fly over my decoys this coming season.

Why don't you organize a some kind of political action group or something?

Can we please moove on? We don't need updates from your 1/2 of the camp every couple weeks.:tu

P.S. - If I could, I'd drive up there and release an infected black duck/mallard/widgeon 1/2 breed duck in your house so I could watch you run around screaming.:D

2. PintailAle

PintailAle Elite Refuge Member

You are too funny. :l I will continue to post updates as I get them just for you. :nutz

PintailAle

3. CutTheDrake

CutTheDrake Elite Refuge Member

Post them if you wish. I want to read anything on this subject. Jr does not speak for me.

4. River Pirate

River Pirate Refuge Member

For years I was a pharmaceutical rep that carried an influenza (flu) drug and did extensive training on the disease - now granted most of this dealth with the human element, but we did go into some extensive discussions and training on how the flu evolves - and yes it is an ever evolving virus.
    One of the main theories that I ran across for the spread of flu is in fact the wild bird population (particularly waterfowl) continualy trade and retrade the viruses at breeding grounds and then spread the flu viruses to people and animals as they migrate.
    If you don't beleive that then think about this. Why does the flu spead at the same time as ducks are migrating south? Some people say that this is just because it is the holiday season and pople are coming into contact with more people. If that is true - why didn't it break out when the kids started back to school in the fall. Something to think about. This is a valid argument for duck hunters getting the flu vaccine each year.

I really don't like the idea of DISEASED birds being released into the wild
    However - I don't think that this is a valid reason for prohibiting all release projects. Granted, most of the bird bands reported are within a 50 mile radius of release points but do apear to be migtating with the other (wild) birds.

The idea that the mallards released are inferior to wild birds is a little silly. The offspring that are released are considerd an f2 (one generation removed) from wild birds. These birds would carry the same genetic and immunity characteristics as their wild parent(s). As for them being any more or less succeptable to disease - they would have the same immunities passed on to them from their parrents and the only difference in the individual is the immune responses they develop while growing up. These would be localized to the immediate breeding and rearing area for the duck anyway.
    As for the influenza strains being detected in the captive reared ducks - this should come as no surprise. These animals are the natural resevoir for the flu virus and would be found in the wild population as well.
    That being said I do beleive that if these birds test positive for h5 - h7 they should proboably be culled due to the fact that this can be particulary virulent forms of the virus that could become highly pathogenic with high mortality among infected birds.

I dindn't wan't to post a bunch of extensive articles - you are grown folks - go the web sites and check it out for your self if you are interested.

The following is a link to the Center for disease control's flu information page which mentions a great deal of information links and goes into some detail on flu strains.
    One of the particulary interesting points is that to do with "antigenic drift" and "shift" but also the links to the WHO pages dealing with birds and flu is interesting
    http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/fluviruses.htm

The following is the who site that I mentioned.
    If the flu types found in the tame ducks is the h5 and h7 type a virus - then that can be kind of scary.
    http://www.who.int/csr/don/2004_01_15/en/

The following link is a short article on flu and has some relevance if you don't feel like reading the cdc and who plethora of information on the subject.
    http://www2.austincc.edu/microbio/2704e/flu.htm

5. markethunter

Dear CTD:

Thanks for getting this going again. I'm sure everyone else appreciates it since I'm gonna have to post more BS to discredit Pintaile if he keeps up the propoganda.:tu

Course Pintaile could do the proper thing and post it on his state's forum so that you could both read it over there and continue the discussion...............

Basically it's a bandwidth issue for the little guys. Let's let the dial-up guys breath a little.

here's something you both can read.

The Truth

River Prate -

thanks for the info. I'm sure that will be some good reading for Pintale and CTD.

Ain' t that right CTD.:nutz

6. PintailAle

MH,

I don't think we are the only ones that need to be reading it. ;)

RP,

Thanks for the information.

PintailAle

7. markethunter

Pintaile you need Prozac.

And why do I need to read it? I know what it says!!

You can read it and twist the facts all you want till they come out in favor of your Armageddon Theory.

I can read it and twist it in my favor.:eek:

Bottom line is this is going nowhere. You can post up all the garbage you wan't and you'll never convince me that while we can clone a human we can't successfully release a bird into Nature. It just don't make sense.

Yes Frost has some problems? What can you do about it. Talk to your congressman I guess.

In Fact. why don't you prove this stuff beyond a shadow of a doubt? and present it to PETA. That would get it stopped if that's what you want.

Do something and stop talking about it. Form a political action group. Heck, I'll be the first member. You have my word.

I guess this will drag on forever.:rolleyes:

Here come some 2 page quotes from the above links. I can feel it comming.:rolleyes:

The Truth

8. CutTheDrake

CutTheDrake Elite Refuge Member

MH

You don't have to post anything else on this subject. Your on and on again same old song post are not needed. Several people on here are interested in the topic both pro and con. If you don't like what posted here don't read it. You have appointed yourself bathroom monitor on this subject. Put me and anyone else you don't like on your ignore list. I'm still trying to decide where I stand on this subject and want all the info I can get. Have self control and don't open the post.

9. markethunter

CTD - I added a link. Nobody has responded to it. Did you read it?

So -

I hereby appoint myslef "Tamie Post Monitor" BECAUSE when I try to logg on at home it slows me down. It's a bandwidth issue. Not everyone has a high speed connection. That's why I think it would be more suited for SC's forum. I guess you missed that. Think of the little guy. Like me "Jr" as you put it.

Although this post does stink like toilet water so "Bathroom" isn't out of the question...

Hall monitor wouldn't be bad either..

CTD I personally don't want to ignore you but your welcome to put me on your ignore list though.

But I ain't gonna stop posting. Just like you ain't gonna stop reading.

If Pintale won't let it die I won't either. I've given him more than enough opportunity.

It's a ****in match I'm not giving up on.:D

And if you kept up with this post, you'd realize that there ain't nothing new getting added here till River Pirate spoke up.

But like I said. You can twist it either way. So far Pintale hasn't addressed my "Truth" link. Wonder why? I think I know.

Because It's a mute point. Now we're gonna try and break down the scientific stuff behind the H7 strand.

It's more than ridiculous. And thinking that you can't successfully release a bird into the wild is even more ridiculous.

True there are problems with the Frost bunch.

So until there is some kind of unbiased scientific study done that specifically addresses this issue it's gonna go round and round and round and ......round.....and round.....

There ain't nothing new getting added. I can fire right back with the "same old stuff" and everything you spent all that time reading means nothing.

It's an endless cycle.

I think we should move this off the AL forum and to the SC forum so I can log on to the first page and it not take me 10 minutes. I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same way. It's already been suggested once.:tu

10. PintailAle

Looks like Arkansas is coming around as well.........

AGFC seeks public input on duck hunting issues

"The newest AWF document has 11 recommendations of the Game and Fish Commission. In summary, these are:"

9. "Develop a method to register and evaluate commercial hunting operations." Private hunting operations that use pen-raised mallards released for hunters to shoot have blossomed in Arkansas in the past couple of years."