Tampa Area Duck Hunting

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by FloridaFowler, Sep 24, 2007.

1. FloridaFowler

FloridaFowler Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys, this is my first year huntin' in the Tampa area (work schedule didn't allow for it last year)...moved here a year ago from Tallahassee, and I know less than nothing about huntin' the area :z . I plan to make a few long trips to Merritt Island this year, but that's about it.

I would never, ever want anyone to think I'm trying to cyber-scout here...just need to know a few bodies of water that allow hunting so I can get out and scout. I'm willing to drive up to an hour and a half or so. Any help with lake names would be great.

Also, I drive across the Courtney Campbell Causeway every day in the fall, and I see several groups of hundreds of bluebills and ringneck (maybe some others, too) rafted up on the bay...anyone know what the regulations are on hunting the bay? I have a layout boat, so I think I could probably slay a limit out there about as quickly as we used to in the big water on Lake Seminole.

I've never been a big poster on this forum, although I read just about every thread....just want you to know I enjoy the stories and pics, and look forward to contributing more this year. Thanks a ton in advance.

2. Greenhead2

Greenhead2 Elite Refuge Member

Dont know much about huntin the Tampa area, but shoot me a PM if you come over to Merritt Island.

3. jadda

jadda Senior Refuge Member

PM Sent. And for the record ... We have no stnking ducks!

4. cracker4112

cracker4112 Refuge Member

Pm sent... and Jadda's right!

5. FloridaFowler

Well, if there are no ducks in the area, as you guys have said, where does a duckaholic get his/her fix? I'm willing to drive.

Of course, since my parents still live in Tallahassee, I've always got a place to crash for a weekend hunting trip up there, but I gotta tell ya....not many ducks to brag about up there, either. At least I've always got Merritt Island.

6. Greenhead2

Theres ducks in tampa, there messin with u...

7. FloridaFowler

Greenhead:
    You wouldn't be telling me that they're messin' with me just to keep one more duck hunter out of Merritt Island, would ya? :fp :confused: :tu

Just kiddin'. I only make it over there about once a year, and not even sure if I will this year...gotta see if my boss at work will let me out to play. :mad:

You are very lucky to live in Merritt Island (I bet you've never heard that from anyone except duck hunters!)....always great hunts there. I don't know that I could hold down a job between the redfish at Mosquito Lagoon and the duck huntin'.

8. N. Cook

N. Cook Senior Refuge Member

Look up on the headings above and click on United Waterfowlers-Florida (unitedwaterfowlersfl.org) and you will be on a Forum with many Tampa area duck hunters. There is hunting in the area, but limited by the many "closed to hunting" rules. UW-F members are usually glad to help a new member get started....... and we fight to keep areas still open to hunting open, and make public land and marshes now closed......open!

9. luvthegsp

luvthegsp New Member

I am glad that someone asked the same question that I had bee wanting to ask. I moved to Bradenton from California last winter and I have been trying to find a local place to hunt. Can anyone help a fellow out?

10. Greenhead2

Its hard between the hunting and fishing(mostly the fishing) but its manageable, come on over and kill u some ducks:tu