Tampa Area Duck Hunting

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by FloridaFowler, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Dferguson

Dferguson New Member

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Refuge Member

ok, ok, ok I guess I will chime in now. There are ducks in Tampa bay, but its a seasonal thing. I generally hunt the fresh water until the middle of december, then hunt the salt. It can be pretty awesome shoots, and then it can be pretty bad shoots, it just depends on the weather, hunting pressure and birds. The most known species of birds are the bluebills, but most people dont realize that there are a fair share of gwteal, bwteal, spoonies, florida mallards, and some badass drake pintails!!!!

There are more duck hunters in Tampa then you think:eek: We have a little known group of Duck Hunters called the Quack HO's. Named mainly due to the crackhead HO's that were parked at the public boat ramps at 400am.

Anyway, Im thinking of getting the group together for a meet and greet. Let me know if your interested. ( You should also check out americanwaterfowlers of florida...www.americanwaterfowlers.com )

BTW, if your planning to go to Merritt, Im down to ride over with ya, or vise versa!!

3. #1DUCKWHACKER

#1DUCKWHACKER Senior Refuge Member

As Big Dave, one of the newer members of the Bay Area Quack Ho's said, there are ducks to be had in the bay. The trick is knowing where you can and can't hunt. Pinellas county-NO, waters in the Tampa city limits-NO, too close to MacDill AFB-a big NO. Don't bother askin' FWCC about this cause their normal answer is "any water you can legally access where discharge of a firearm is not prohibited". Oh yeah, do yourself a favor and keep your feet wet, as in stay off the islands. Sheriffs Office and FWCC frown upon this behavior:yes
    Last year was lousy but in hunts past we have taken or seen blue and greenwing teal, mottleds, pintail, widgeon, gadwall, hybrid mallards, scaup, redhead, canvasback, goldeneye and bufflehead. Not all on the same hunt mind you, but over the years. As Newton said, check us out at United Waterfowlers of Florida.:tu

4. FloridaFowler

FloridaFowler Senior Refuge Member

Quack HO's, huh?

Is Don Imus going to be attending the meetings? :l

Just kidding, guys. Sounds like a great opportunity to meet some local hunters, PM me and let me know any details. I'm starting to think that hunting the bay is more trouble than it is worth with the ambiguous borders and prohibited areas. I'm also willing to drive (Panasoffkee, Toho, etc.).

Thanks again to everyone for their tips and help.

5. grnwing

grnwing New Member

Crooked, Hancock, Walk in Water, and a few other lakes can keep you busy during season. The Bay is great for short hunts, mostly bluebills but you do get some bonuses out there, Use your layout boat on the north end of the bay and learn where the ducks roost and feed and set up in between, To many hunters push the ducks off the roost before legal be patient and you ll have some worldclass wing shooting. Later in the season head down to the south end of the bay, (Bishops Harbor) just be careful where you put in down there, alot of trucks get broken into. If you like wood duck hunting the Green Swampa WMA has some good cypress ponds that will hold decent numbers of woodies. Lake Pan is great too but more and more pressure is spreading the birds thin. Shot everything out there from Pintails to Canvasbacks. If you need any more info let me know I d be more than willing to share some more spots.

Good Luck this Season!!

Grning

6. FloridaFowler

So, I've seen a few flocks of teal on the bay as I head to work across the Courtney Campbell every day...kinda gets me fired up. When do the divers start showing up in "numbers" down here? I think I started seeing them around late October last year...wasn't able to hunt them, though, because of the work schedule. But I have vowed to myself that this year will be different.

7. Big Dave

Big Dave Refuge Member

It should be any day now....:grvn

8. #1DUCKWHACKER

#1DUCKWHACKER Senior Refuge Member

About a week to ten days should be the magic time if past years dates hold true.:tu

9. oldsquaw

oldsquaw Elite Refuge Member

i was in the tampa area this summer for vacation.....you can actually hunt ducks around there? not saying anything bad about the area, just didnt see many "ducky" areas.:confused:

10. FloridaFowler

:dv Oldsquaw:
    Where in Central Illinois are you? I have a ton of family in the LaSalle-Peru area, and I was born in Peoria.

As far as the huntin' goes, its nothing like the backwaters of the Illinois. But I gotta tell ya, if I lived in Illinois, it would be hard to hunt ducks with all those massive deer walkin' around Pike County. :dv