Tamron 150-600 vs Sigma 150-600 Sports

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Airdale, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Airdale

Airdale Senior Refuge Member

Hello all,

Any thoughts on which of these two lenses is the better investment? I shoot a Nikon D7100 and would like to get a good telephoto again. I was holding off until both of these lenses had some time on the market. Mostly for waterfowl/small critters.

2. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

Dizzy on here has been using the Sigma with much delight on his FF Canon.

I'm sure he will chime in :tu

3. 1Duck slayer

1Duck slayer Elite Refuge Member

After doing research on both the lens I decided to go with the sigma. It seems to have faster Af, better image quality and better build but it is also twice the price. Something to consider. I have had one on order now for around a month and still don't have it yet so I have no first hand experience with the lens.

4. pentail

pentail Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

The wife wants one of the two. Still debating an extra grand vs. faster AF and slightly sharper images

5. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Yeah I have also had the Sigma on backorder for about a month.

6. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Guy's, do like I did and find a smaller store. I had originally ordered from Adorama but cancelled the order as the waiting list was too long.

7. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

I have the Tamron/Canon version. It is very good on fairly still subjects...that is where the hand holdable VC works. They suggest not using the VC with panning subjects. The build is actually very good and the lens comes with a 6 year warranty with 3 day turn-around...so that is hard to beat for the price. With that being said, I am going to sell my copy before too long to help finance making the big jump to something big and white.

8. Gude

Gude Elite Refuge Member

FWIW, I shot with the Tamron for a day and was very unimpressed. Could have been a bad copy and likely a bad operator, but IQ was NOTICEABLY lacking in comparison my 100-400. The lens got much better reviews that what I was able to produce with it, but I'd go with the Sigma or Canon glass.

9. Diver-Down

Diver-Down Elite Refuge Member

Been shooting the Tamron for a year now. It's a good lens, for the money it's a great lens. As far as sharpness goes it's about the same at f/8 as the Sigma is at f/6.3 and the Sigma has a very slight edge at f/8, sharpness also drops off slightly as you zoom from 400 to 600. For flight shots it's just Ok, it's pretty fast at 400mm and slows down as you go to 500and 600mm but can still get it done it's just no 400 5.6 that's for sure. I think it comes down to price and weight, another 1k and an extra 2 lbs is why I'm not in a hurry to sign up for one but I'm not ruling it out either.

Here's a few taken with the Tamron this past week........ The flicker was at 500mm and the sparrow and divers at 600mm, all crops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 1Duck slayer

1Duck slayer Elite Refuge Member

The local store here where I live has had one on order since the beginning of December.