Tanglefree Panel Blind

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Duck-Hunter, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I have seen a lot of talk about Tanglefree's Panel Blinds on other forums and pages. Figured I would shed some light on these blinds. Ever since we started running them we have not looked back, I don't miss layout blinds. Even before Panel Blinds were available we started going back to the "old school" ways. We were hunting ditches, tree lines, hedge rows, standing corn. I have noticed birds hanging out closer to field edges more and more. Honestly the last few years we've only ran layouts when we had to. You do not have to run these on edges. We hunt them in the wide open and have excellent results.

Panel Blinds have given us way better hides. They are as versatile as it gets. You can form them how you need them. You can accommodate 4 hunters comfortably. You can butt them up to each other and hunt easily 8-9 guys if you wish. They can also be overlapped to hunt 5-6 hunters. You can even take one panel section and hunt solo.

One of the best things about these blinds is setup. Takes seconds to set them up. They are easy to transport.

If you are in the market for new blind(s) I HIGHLY recommend the Tanglefree Panel Blind system. If you have any questions feel free to post here or shoot me a PM.

Friday morning we pulled off a hunt in a brown field(wheat). Our blind was green as could be. We ran traffic. The morning started off slow, not much flying. We had two singles, flock of 3 and a flock of 15 that all worked into the pocket picture perfect. All of these birds had no intentions of coming to the field. It was my friend's first time hunting from the Panel Blinds, he had his doubts from the start. He became a believer and he can't wait to hunt from them again.

41205-02.jpeg

Saturday we hunted another wheat field. This field has not held a bird. There were a few in the area so we decided to run some traffic again. We didn't have high hopes for this hunt and boy were we wrong. Knocked out our 4 man limit and the second flock of the morning brought two bands. All of the birds worked the pocket perfectly. Few touched down almost too close for comfort.
    41696-02.jpeg

2. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

got pictures of the panel blinds stubbled up with corn?

3. Duck-Hunter

Not off hand, silage just started to come down in our area. Either way I'm sure we won't have a problem running switchgrass. We have a lot of fields around us that have low spots that aren't cut or planted. That's what we try to mimic with these blinds.

4. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

We only use layouts when absolutely necessary but just bought some panel blinds this year. Stubbled one up with wheat stubble and butted it up to some bails as the field was covered in bails. Shot a couple but they would get to 40-50 yards then slide off. They didn't like the blind. We had to ditch the blind and hide behind hay bails and they decoyed better. Granted this area is so highly pressured you cannot hunt in layouts if you're in the decoys no matter how good the hide is. Yesterday morning we were hidden in grass that was 18 inches high in a low spot with low profile layouts blinds stubbled to the max with grass. We had the decoys in front of us and we were cross shooting the birds and if they would swing over top they would still see the blinds.

I can already tell they'll work, but they're not the end all be all. I can tell you right now that I would never be able to grass them up and put decoys around the blind and have it work or have the birds finish into it. I think the only way they'll work where I hunt is if I grass them up and cross shoot the birds in certain situations, but I have to do that with layout blinds already anyways.

5. Duck-Hunter

I wouldn't tell anyone to throw layouts away and run only panels. Layout blinds along with Panel Blinds are tools. They have their time and place. Lately we've been pushing the limits to see what we can get away with the Panel Blinds. My theory behind running Panel Blinds they are mimicking a low spot/wet spot/uncut area of a field which birds see often. At least in our area. Early season along with molts coming down the birds are a little more forgiving.

A few years ago I quit running layout blinds in the "head" of the spread or piling decoys around the blinds. I felt like we were drawing attention to our hide and had too many birds flare or lose interest with the blinds in the decoys. If we have a light wind(under 10mph) I keep the blinds off to the side for a left to right or right to left shot over the pocket. Higher wind days I'll have them off to either side of the "head" of the spread so they are working right into us for even better shooting. The reason I put the blinds to the side on light wind days because I have noticed birds are usually fixated on the mass of decoys on the upwind section of the spread(Aka the head) and with a light wind geese tend to slide around, take their time or try to land short. The attention is off of us in the blinds, we are less likely to get busted this way.

I run the Panel Blinds the same way. I never pile the decoys around the blind. Imagine setting your spread the same way you would hunting over water out of a duck blind, that's about how we set our spread, Decoys are out front. The group of decoys directly in front of the blind are usually about 5-10 yards off of it. If the birds flare, I will bump that pod of decoys out farther or do away with that pod of decoys directly in front of the blind.