Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Tanglefree Slammer Socks?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by freezeland, Jan 25, 2017.

1. freezeland

freezeland New Member

Does anyone own the tanglefree slammer sock headless snow decoys? I saw a pretty good sale on them and am considering getting 24 dozen. In the product descriptions I have read I have not seen any mention if they are memory free. Can someone answer that, and positive or negative experience with them?

2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I own a couple hundred. They are a pain to assemble. not difficult, but will make your hands hurt. I like them because they have taller stakes than my SS ( but you can order SS with taller stakes, now). Fiberglass stakes don't rust, and will hold up to a stiff wind. I'd suggest wearing glove when picking up. really no complaints.

3. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I have around 220. Both 1st gen and 2nd gen. Don't have any 3rd gen yet with the new stake caps. I store about 160 in a large rubbermaid tote that is wide enough that I don't really have to bend down the supports. The rest go in the bottom of a sillosock cube before it's stuffed full of sillosocks. Assembly is a pain, but I've found a few tricks to make it go easier, mainly dumping all of the rubber stops into a bowl and filling the bowl with water. the wet stops slide on the stake a lot easier. The stake length is great, and the tyvek is really white. When I mixed my spread in with a buddy's spread of older sillosocks, you could see my half of the spread really good from 2 miles away, his half was duller and didn't have that attention drawing factor. But, I keep my spread really clean and he doesn't give a hoot about mud.

4. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

If you hunt somewhere cold- don't waste your money. They are brutally difficult to get I. The ground.
    Also, the back support bends easily and they look goofy.
    They don't do well on low wind days...

I like them for hiding us, or hunting in or around sheet water or marshes . Other than that, I despise the damn things.

5. Big Ches

Big Ches Elite Refuge Member

A drill and a drill bit might help with that :dv

We've got around 600 of them and I can't recall any supports bending.

What does well on low wind days other than fullbodies????

6. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

We have to haul our stuff in- so every little extra thing adds to the weight. Sometimes it's almost a half mile or even more.
    Also, they won't go in when the silosocks will. Even on non frozen ground.
    Silo socks look way better on low wind days.
    And look better on high wind days.
    Plus the little caps are constantly pulling off.

Like I said we use them to hide us- they work great for that.

7. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Don't buy them. I've hunted over 5 different kinds of socks and they are the worst in my opinion. The bag also wears out faster then others and look worse in no wind situations due to their backbone.

Scotty likes this.