Targets going right to left vs left to right...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by DtSB, Oct 6, 2017.

1. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

It's become evident over the past 3 seasons that I am the worst shot ever when birds are approaching from my left. Today confirms that, for sure.

I rarely miss on birds approaching from my right or coming straight over.

It's driving me nuts.

Why?

By the way, every bird I saw today approached from the left.

2. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

I am the same way but opposite. I am left handed and do a lot better coming from left to right. Never have figured it out?

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

When Roster was doing his shooting tests, he always did it Left to Right. If you are set up normally, because of the way you are holding your shotgun, you can't twist as far, or as fast.

When I get to Station 5 on trap, I always set up to the hard right is like a straightaway. Then I screw my body back into the house. If I get a hard left, it is actually a straightaway, so no problem. If it is a hard right, I just un-coil.

So, yea, they are harder.

4. Biggar2000

Biggar2000 Senior Refuge Member

Same here. When I guided in the early 1980's in the marsh of South Louisiana our blinds were set up with dog stand on left and me. The 2 guests were in the blind to my right.
    We had strict rule, guides did not shoot. I only backed the guests up, worked my dog and finished cripples. But 80 percent of the time the guests said please help. So I took the left to righters after they had banged at them. Mind you back then it was lead and I was using my old real 870 choked full. But I learned one thing keep swinging!!!! Keep it out there in front of him as best as you can. As one of the old guides said shoot him where eats, not where he sheats. So 30 plus years later I still hate left to right but I keep swinging and do OK, with a tricked out semi auto haha and over the decoys choke and some 3 or 3 1/2 steel 2s or 3s. Lead back then on a swimming cripple back then was awesome.

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Find the line , shoot the lead..........Butt ,Belly, Beck , pull through to see the gap ...BOOM ! Nothing to it !

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Probably the easiest way to shoot the birds is use what I call the vector approach. Each bird is flying on a trajectory, and you have to get in front of it to hit the bird. I try to start from behind the bird, come through it, and pull the trigger at the appropriate distance. It works left to right, right to left , and from behind to forward (overhead). Here is an example.

You don't have to rush it either. Take your time as you pull through the bird. Nice and Easy makes for good shooting.

7. dla

dla Senior Refuge Member

You're right handed. When you swing left to right - you lift your head. When you swing right to left, your face stays on the stock where it belongs. Just my opinion as a member of the great unwashed masses who've figured this out.

The skeet range is a great place to fix this.

8. Den and Jack

Den and Jack Senior Refuge Member

2x on skeet range! Just shoot the middle crossing stations. Back up and use modified choke the better you get. You are standing in skeet which helps. Shooting left to right in layout blind or layout boat is very tough. When this is the case you have to make sure you take the bird sooner so your not shooting towards the right which is the direction your head lifts and barrel starts to slow. When setting up you should try to minimize chances of left to right crosser. When duck hunting I like to put 70% of decoys to left and 30% to right.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Yeap that's a good illustration of......a experienced Left Handed shooter taking the easier shots !
    The first bird shot was the most difficult shot as it was going Right to left for a left handed shooter but with it being the closest bird , it was more of a
    " Spot Shot " because there was very little ...pass-through swing of the barrel , the other birds being tracked with ( finding the Line ) and seeing the
    perceived Gap , was spot on , all tho the last bird shot seemed to be the farthest of the remaining shots offered ?

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Probably 35 yds on the last shot. I was trying to shoot all drakes that day, and they were in eclipse, so it was hard to pick them out. My best success with any type of shooting seems to be the "British" pull through method, although I do use sustained lead and pull ahead depending on the situation. For a leftie, my hardest shot is the right to left, but I try to keep my body position in such a way that I can still maintain a good swing.

This was probably my hardest double I made this year. A pair of right to left birds , pass shot, with limited time to follow through . (The first two birds in the video)